EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Announced - Available October

jeff_higdon

From the blurb one has to assume it has better performance. The original is not known as a stellar performer wide

open or close to wide open. I have to say I think emphasizing bokeh always strikes me as a little weird for a 24mm

lens, but Canon does have to say something. Maybe Canon can now compete in the superb wide angle stakes?

Robin Smith

<i>Maybe Canon can now compete in the superb wide angle stakes?</i><br><br>You mean of course "compete

with the plethora of other f/1.4 24 mm lenses on the market", right..?<br><br>Pixel-peepers will never be satisfied,

but

the "real world" users just love this lens. As an aside, I've been a long-time user of the EF (and before that FD)

24/1.4 and this has always been one sweet lens - great color rendition, superb contrast and resolution. If the new

version is significantly better, it will be truly stellar.

<i>nothing beats a good shallow depth-of-field. Yes, even at 24mm.</i><br><br>Once you start pixel-peep at 100%

magnification of a hi-res image (inevitable, no matter how rational you are...), you'll realize that there is no DOF to

speak for @ f/1.4. <br>And in general, expect a slew of "5D2 ain't sharp" posts after the 21 mpixel sensor finds its

way to the

hands of the hundreds of thousand of users (1Ds3 is just too $$$ for widespread use, and aimed at a different

audience, but still many people were amazed by the effort and difficulty it took to fully realize its potential.)

Over the years I have noticed that Canon's MTF charts correspond well the the average of lens tests. Best take a look at the MTF and compare it to the old lens. You be the judge. This new lens was probably forced on Canon due to compliance with removing lead from electrical products. I have always suspected the original did not have the contact for distance info, so this one has. This is the first lens with the new SWC coating. They have also added more lens elements which makes that all the more important altough the new coating is only on the inside of the front element (where the coating type works best on wide optics). I would love to be proved wrong but I bet people cropping the image with high resolution sensors get better images with the old lens. Lets wait and see.

The original is a really hot 24mm, they will keep their value, especially if this one is.... ;-)

Better weather sealing also a new feature, although the old one is very well sealed, I guess they have added the lens to body gasket.

Larry no ''WOW!'' ;-)

Canon USA Marketing (the team that put the 50mm F1.2L in their telephoto section when it launched) appear to have

copied the filter size, all other sites say it is not 77mm close focus eg:

http://www.dcview.com.tw/article/newreadarticle.asp?id=7033

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091704canon_ef24mm.asp

Min focus 25cm = 0.17x Magnification