How would you crop this?

dennis.g

Thanks for the examples -<br>

I tended to put her (West Highland White Terrier, BTW) on the right as well.<br>

Partly because I like the dandelions and the pine branches, and partly because of her eye-line.<br>

What was confusing me, I think, is that she's moving to the right, and I was taught to "lead" the subject.<br>

I think I like Ole's crop best, but the aspect reminds me of a business card.

Maybe I should try to sell it to a groomer ;)<br>

Any critiques on this photo or the other one in my portfolio?<br>

Was I a bit heavy-handed with the shadow/highlight tool in Photoshop?<br>

Thanks,<br>

-Dennis

For what purpose? I think the best crop depends on the use of the photo. If you want to send a small print or e-mail it to a dog owner, I would choose the tight crop by Ole Kristian. For a print on the wall, I would crop it like Chris Werner did, but even more loosely, with a bit more green all around.

If there is a purpose to the photo then that would give me a better idea as to how to crop it. The first picture places the subject in a position to lead the observer to conclude that the dog is going somewhere. The 1.5x2.0 crop leads the observer to conclude the dog has done something and is now moving away. The vertical crop is a look at me shot. This shot places the subject directly in the middle. Since the human perspective is to firstly glance at those objects that are of highest contrast, this photo makes the observer clearly focus on the dog and not the surroundings. So if you plan on using this shot to sell the dog then the last shot will do fine although I would crop it just a little more tighter to lessen the distractions in the photo. Its a great photo anyway you look at it. (Cute dog)

I agree that there is a lot of green and that is really a bit boring, so, whatever we do we need to add interest.

One way to do that is to create movement in the viewer`s eye.

From the above suggestions, I like the Square Crop the best, mostly because it creates a bit more interest to the viewer: we are all a bit conditioned to the rectangle, and I find that a plain scene can be often livened up, with a square crop: which today is often out of the ordinary

On another thought train, you could add a bit of action and interest like this, the result is 5 x 7 ratio, but it would also work OK with a 6 x 4 ratio:

WW<div>00Qtlj-71851684.jpg.2904b46ff4fae6bbec511418328eee2b.jpg</div>

I recall someone commenting that I needed to open up more and reduce the focus on the background of one of my

prints, that said, I recall my lens was fully open, so it was not possible.

Good capture of the pooch, and yes, you are right, there are a number of good photographs in the original, I would

tend to proceed much the same way as the others, but now I think I might print full frame to a size near what I

eventually wanted and use cropping L's to try to find the best solution. I generally crop as if the print was going on

the wall.

Am not much of a photoshop expert, can you smooth out some of the busy background and open more options for

cropping, everyone seems to be working towards dealing with the background, and bringing the main subject out

from it?

It also depends on the ratio's you care to look at, I am perhaps more of a 6 x 7 fan, but sometimes really long as

well, but not 5x7, and a substantial mat size a bit larger on bottom. It is a major detractor to me if a print is framed

in too small of a window.

So, perhaps a Photoshop Guru might create a layer with a bit of "bokeh" for the background, and begin anew to look

at cropping?

You do have choices. ;-)

Regards, John

Dennis,

Why do you think it needs to be cropped? I think what you've done is actually fairly good compared to everyone else

crops .you've created a nice depth your placement is good and maintains movement giving the dog something to run

into.. I'd leave it alone. The others have either created basic snapshots or cropped in too tightly. Yours is much better for

enlargement also.

J

My preference would be very similar to derek allan's but with a bit more foreground for the dog to be moving into.

Having said that I think you should give the final image more consideration when you compose the shot.

The position of the dog here lends itself to a reasonably close up shot because it is coming towards you and you

have the face nearly full on. As it is my eyes are trying to find something of interest in all that space which

detracts from the subject. Had it been running from one side to the other and side on to you then you could leave

more space around it, particularly for it to be running into. Getting your composition right, so your not

cropping lots off, will also give you better prints.<div>00Qujv-72261684.jpg.4a35e88f2e38acf15734fffb41305b3f.jpg</div>

John, >>Why do you think it needs to be cropped?<<

I agree, it is certainly one of the good photos in the frame, over all a very good capture, but in an ideal world, my

eyes would not be as drawn to the slightly busy background, and it is not a simple straighten the horizon and crop

situation.

It could be more appealing as such, IMO, so my question about a technical post production solution followed.

In a darkroom, I might darken the background, but reduced focus and a creamy bokeh would add.

I certainly hope folks know more about Photoshop than I do, I may have to bite the bullet and find some appropriate

course work, maybe even read the manual ;-) .

Thanks everyone - I'm learning a lot from this thread!<br>

John (Frie), I really like what you did.<br>

How is that done in PS?<br>

I hunted around and the closest thing I could find was the render>lighting filter - but it didn't produce quite the same

effect.<br>

Thanks,<br>

-Dennis

John, did not take you long to show me up, you could have made it look harder, please post elaborate directions. ;-)

Reminds me of a bit of edge burning I used to do in the darkroom, and it is a tribute to the very basic level to which I use Photoshop. I did learn to correct distortion in stained glass photography for the Sacred Landmarks folks here abouts, and had a good tutor to help me out.

Looks like a "wall hanger" now, the cat is going to be jealous.

Regards, John

Basically the technique I used in PS is the same technique you would use in the darkroom. I used the burn tool with a soft

brush, put the setting on midtones around 40% and slowly built the burn up. Another way this can be done to give varied

results is to make a transparent layer above the dog layer and use the brush tool, again with a soft brush at around 30%

and burn down the areas that you see fit. There are so many ways to get this technique in PS and each way gives you a

slightly different edge and result. Photoshop is an immense program that takes years to master. What I did is very basic

yet requires practice. Get in there and play.

John

• 4 weeks later...