20D Battery Not Charging

sacbee

During my recent trip to Oaxaca, I experienced this strange problem. The battery was fully charged when I

started shooting during the travel. Then it drained to half life after a day long shooting. As usual, in the

night I plugged it to the charger and to my surprise the indicator blinked once, twice, thrice and finally

stopped blinking and was ON constantly (which is an indication of full charge) all in a matter of 4-5 seconds.

In other words the battery is not getting charged. I kept it in the charger throughout night and inserted into

camera the following day, the indicator showed only half life. And was completely dead again after 2-3 shots.

Everytime I plug it to the charger...withing 4-5 seconds it displays full charge indication.

I do travel photography and use 17-40/4L, 70-200/4L without any external flash (usage of internal flash is very

minimal). I use Kingston 2GB/4GB media for shooting.

Does it mean the battery is dead and needs a replacement? Or is it some problem with charger? I don't even know

anyone here who owns a 20D to check what's the fault.

Thanks for your responses.

The charger cannot "look into" the battery. So it tries to estimate its actual charge/decharge-state by watching its current consumption at different voltages. A dead battery very often doesn't take a high current at higher voltages, and thereby it seems to the charger the battery is full (or nearly full) while in reality its empty (more or less).

Do you have any other battery you can try with this charger? (Its unlikely, but in a recent thread, someone had a dead charger while all symptoms were for a dead battery). Its much more likely the battery is dead and needs to be replaced.