Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f / 0.95 ASPH

bernard_odonovan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it has become true that, in those times of huge fall of stock markets and US economy, the Noctilux has turned

to something one can save or make money with. Who might sell its housing to buy it ? Really hoped that GWB could

explain it to our great nation ;)

Any photos around, made with the brand new Nocitlux ? I did adore the bokeh of the previous lens. Is it still here ?

Kelly Flanigan wrote "T stops are usually measued ... best an equation for T stops is a model ... What matter is the measured number" "With a fast lens its going to have vigneting; thus measured tstops are measured versus off axis angle".

Agreed, it is best to measure the true speed of the lens. My posting above is just a good a useful approximation of the speed. Given it does not account for shape of surfaces it likely only applies on axis.

I was thinking the same thing, Ralph - I think "Mint-" with a capital "-".

Kelly, I know the auction was for an original aspheric Noct 1.2; in fact I'm hoping the 0.95 has rendering like that of the 50/1.2 Noct, which I strongly prefer to the 1.0 model. If it does, I might be tempted to start saving for an 0.95.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
<p>I came across this thread a year later; hello everyone! I was an avid Nikon digital shooter, then for an assignment in -50 degrees F where batteries are a pain to keep up I purchased an all mechanical M6 and took with me a couple of Nikon lenese. I also took with me a Fuji GSWIII 690. From that trip I became a Leica (and film) fan for landscape. Then I started shooting people with the Leica, and I liked it too. I recently purchased a M9 and it has convinced me to give digital another chance at landscape shots. <br /><br />Has Leica priced itself out of existence? as El had suggested? As a neutral observer, I don't think so. Pricing is of couse a function of demand and supply. Leica does not mass produce, and for what it produces, especially with the M9, it seems that inventories do not last terribly long. This is especially true, a year later, for the f/0.95. I have spoken to Adorama, BH Photo, and a couple of major Leica dealers from Germany, and one from UK, and all of them confirm to me that they can never hold a f/0.95 in the inventory for longer than a couple of weeks before they are snatched up. The demand has increased since the introduction of the M9, obviously.<br /><br />So, is Leica still around and kicking? Absolutely, and they continue to raise prices (due for another raise in Jan 2010). Do I own one of the f/0.95? No. Do I want one? Hect yes!</p>