Lightroom 2 - Insert Image Capture Date on Import?

Hi everyone,

I switched over to LR 2 from Aperture a few weeks back and I thought I had everything with file naming clear but I've just noticed that I've

made a bit of a booboo. I moved over a whole load of pictures that I had taken over the last few months and have them organized into

folders by date of capture which Lightroom does automatically - I like this! Anyway, when importing I use the filename format of date-

descriptor-sequence number for example 20080914-London-01, for the first picture I took in London today, simple so far! I have this set up

as a preset format for file import.

However, I just took a look at my older pictures and I've only just noticed that although Lightroom automatically detects the date of capture

for an image and puts it into a folder with that date, it dates the actual image file according to the date of import rather than date of capture.

So all of my pictures from the last few months all start with the same date - the date I imported them all into Lightroom! :-(

Anyway, I've had a look around but I can't find an answer to my question anywhere so here it is - is it possible to have LR automatically

insert the date of *capture* as opposed to the date of import when it is renaming imported files?

I'm hoping there is some Lightroom guru out there that can help me!

Thanks a lot!

Neil

Mark,

thanks, I didn't see this information when I was looking yesterday. So for the time being, would it be best just to

manually rename all of my older photos with the correct date of exposure? They are already sorted into folders by the

correct dates so it wouldn't be too big a job. Does renaming have to be done from within LR? If I rename the files in

their location on my HD will it mess up the catalog somehow?

Thanks again,

Neil

Alright, I've had a good dig around and, for anyone that is interested, there is a work around for this bug. Once you have

imported the photos you can rename them using F2 and when this is done the correct date of exposure will be shown in the

file name as opposed to the date of import. Mark thanks again for letting me know that others were having this problem.