Central Massachusetts in late October?

john_bald

I'm going to central MA Oct 24th and I'm extending the visit for 3 days to do some shooting. Landscapes, waterfalls,

anything interesting. Any suggestions for:

<p>1) Sunrise or sunset locations?

<br>2) Waterfalls? (I did find www.massfalls.com)

<br>3) Foliage vistas

<br>4) A favorite place of yours?

<p>I'm not familiar with the area but I'm armed with maps. And your suggestions.

<p>Thanks!

<br><a href="http://www.johnbald.net/gallery">www.johnbald.net</a>

A tad late for peak folliage, usually, but you never know.. it varies from year to year.

Excellent area and you'll fully enjoy it. The Quabbin Resovoir is a favorite area for painters and photographers. Check out the Rt. 9 boat ramp entrance and the Enfield Look-out.

What specific area are you in and I assume you have a car. I need to think about this a bit more and get back, I would also suggest Connecticut just below there, if you want to go south, and don't forget Newport RI while your south, and/or Brattleboro and southern VT a bit to the north.

The Concord Bridge in Concord is also a favorite place.

peak color will have moved on to southern Mass (northern Connecticut) by that time. As Steve noted, all those are good locations (the bridge is actually called the North Bridge). At the Quabbin, there are significant number of opportunities in and around (also drive and do the very short walk to 'the Tower'). There are a number of short-ish hikes to some peaks in the area

John,

Anywhere aong the CT River valley would be good. I think you may be just at of just past peak foliage, but it's hard to tell this year as it has been a somehwat cool summer here in New England, and somewhat damp as well.

THis may delay the foliage a bit . In Central Mass, you are withinan hour of some great shooting in Southern Vermont, New Hampshire, and CT. You can Go West Into the Berkshires as well

Good Luck

JV

I know, not the peak of foliage, but I can't reschedule Parents Weekend! THANK YOU for all the specific suggestions. My travel range is anything within 90 min.s of the Amherst area.

<p>You know, I've often found that there are good images to be made even when the foliage isn't at its peak. Sometimes the peak has passed, but there'll be a riverbank, a solitary stand of trees, etc., that's just brilliant.

<p>P.S., Massachusetts has an incredibly active community of photographers. There's got to be more camera clubs per capita in that state. I knew the locals would have some good ideas.

Take Rt 63 north out of Amherst, and you'll be in the middle of gorgeous New England farm country and there will be all sorts of great photo opportunities of typical New England villages, farm stands and make sure you buy some Macoun apples, my personal favorite, along with Apple cider and pie!

If you keep going on 63 it will take you through a little corner of southwesten New Hampshire that is beautiful too. All the way up to Bellows Falls VT.

Go south the next day and take RT 116 south out of Amherst down to Rt 202 and take that west through Holyoke and Westfield down to Rt 57. The take 57 west out to western Mass and then take Rt 8 south down into Connecticut. You'll get fabulous folliage and finally come to Rt 44. Take 44 west and you'll go through Millerton, then Rt 112 and can find Limerock Racetrack and maybe photo some race cars, if your into that. Worst case, you'll see some of the best scenery that New England has to offer.

Then go north on Rt 7 up into Great Barrington and then intoStockbridge and stop at the Norman Rockwell Museum. Also say hello to my buddy Arlo Guthrie, son of Woody Guthrie and of course the writer composer of Alice's Restaurant, you can even eat at Alice's.

There you go! Take a lot of pictures and let us know how you made out. Great time of year to be in Massachusetts, home of the Boston Red-Sox, great colleges and fine motorcycel riding roads and wonderful vistas for photo geeks like us!

Take Rt 63 north out of Amherst, and you'll be in the middle of gorgeous New England farm country and there will be

all sorts of great photo opportunities of typical New England villages, farm stands and make sure you buy some

Macoun apples, my personal favorite, along with Apple cider and pie!

If you keep going on 63 it will take you through a little corner of southwesten New Hampshire that is beautiful too. All

the way up to Bellows Falls VT.

Go south the next day and take RT 116 south out of Amherst down to Rt 202 and take that west through Holyoke

and Westfield down to Rt 57. The take 57 west out to western Mass and then take Rt 8 south down into

Connecticut. You'll get fabulous folliage and finally come to Rt 44. Take 44 west and you'll go through Millerton, then

Rt 112 and can find Limerock Racetrack and maybe photo some race cars, if your into that. Worst case, you'll see

some of the best scenery that New England has to offer.

Then go north on Rt 7 up into Great Barrington and then intoStockbridge and stop at the Norman Rockwell Museum.

Also say hello to my buddy Arlo Guthrie, son of Woody Guthrie and of course the writer composer of Alice's

Restaurant, you can even eat at Alice's.

There you go! Take a lot of pictures and let us know how you made out. Great time of year to be in Massachusetts,

home of the Boston Red-Sox, great colleges and fine motorcycel riding roads and wonderful vistas for photo geeks

like us!