This years Summer Frolics

Uhooru

Nice set Barry. I noticed that you took one shot (or maybe more but only posted one) of most of your subjects, but there were five shots of a young lady in white framed sunglasses. These stood out to me for this reason so I'm kinda curious as to what it was like for you to shoot these five.

Thx Mark. She's a friend of mine from down here (So Cal), and I was teasing her telling her I was going to hound her with my camera, so we had fun. She was anxious to see them so I put them all up as the "Sasha Chronicles" That's all. F. Diamond were you there? or know someone there? Do you play tunes? There's also 3 or 4 other Flickr sets of different parts of the camp including a set of medium format portraits. If you are really interested, you can just go back to the set and click on photostream, on the right you'll see all the sets. Thx for the interest.

Barry-- no I wasn't there, but perhaps next year--if I practice in the meanwhile. At a neighbor's party this summer a few people who had just returned from Lark told me to think about going next year. There are several videos of Lark on Youtube, found them after I took a look at your photos. It looks like a beautiful area, good musical practice, good people, lots of photogenic moments.

Barry--re-reading your last post you asked a few questions that I didn't answer. I'm a beginner with the cello, not your typical instrument for the kind of music at Lark, but when I do contra dance I've found the cello isn't a bad addition to the band.

F. D. Cello is interesting, there are certainly places where the Cello fits in, much of it depends on what you do with it:) I think you would like the place..it is a beautiful setting, and it offers a lot for different people. Some people are enthralled with all the musical classes and get into that. Others, like me that have been going for many years, have very old friends, some of which we are in touch with all the time and some of which we only meet there once a year. For me, I like to play tunes at night, hang out, party and hound people with my camera. It'a also a building body of work, because, I'm now holding photographs of many of the same people over several years now and will one day start editing them down seriously.

Barry--I looked at an older set of yours from Lark-- I see some of the same faces; a record of this place and the people who come to it is a worthy project for sure. The music lives only so long as people play it, teach it and come to care about it, just like any language. I just spoke with a fiddler about Lark, she said that it was a WPA project and that there are only two in the US--the other being Camp David. Photographing the playing is hard, I'm getting lots of movement blur, but like my music, I'm thinking I'll improve.

Yeah, it is supposedly the sister camp to Camp David. Don't eschew blur, it can be useful. You know, while we are playing

music, your kinda just there. It's not a lot of jumping around, but remember, the music is not really just about the music, its

about the craic.