Super Wide Angle Lenses for Canon 30D - HELP!

krista_nelson

I'm looking at purchasing a super wide angle lens for my 30D. I do a lot of interior architectural photography

of homes and 17mm is not even close to enough! I've heard so many different things about what lens is good. As

far as I know, my choice will need to be between these lenses:

- Canon 10-22 f3.5-4.5

- Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6

- Sigma 12-24 f4.5-5.6

- Tokina 10-17 f3.5-4.5

- Tokina 11-16 f2.8

- Tokina 12-24 f4

Is there anyone out there that has experience with these lenses and can offer some insight. (or has heard solid

advice) My main concerns are sharpness, color, color aberration, and distortion. Price is not a big issue for me.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

- krista

You didnt list the Tamron 11-18 f/4.5-5.6, not that I actually recomend it. Its just another option. You could probably rent the Canon lens at most lens rental places, and maybe the Sigma or Tamron. Try before you buy, if you have the cash. If you dont have the cash to rent one, then you already eliminated half of those lenses.

I use the Canon and the Sigma 10-20. Image quality is very similar, as is build quality. The Sigma is very good value if you're on a budget, and comes with a lens hood. I'm sometimes pleased to have the extra 2mm on the Canon (22mm rather than 20mm), but it's not a big deal. For interiors with a 30D, I would definitely choose one of the lenses that starts at 10mm -- the 2mm difference on the short end is significant.

I think the Tokina 10-17 is great, but as Kari mentions, it's a fisheye lens. Not at all what you want for straight lines.

I have the Tokina 12-24, and it is a good lens, but I don't think 12mm is wide enough for interior architecture. The Sigma 10-20 is a better buy, but I think the Canon 10-22 is a better lens. I've had too many Sigma lenses (Yes, even the EX series!) go belly up on me. Besides the Canon has ring type USM focusing with Full Time Manual (FTM) focusing. Very nice.

Christa, I have owned first the Sigma 12-24 which I then sold to get a Canon 10-22. When I went to full frame I then sold the Canon 10-22 and bought the Canon 17-40 L instead.

The Sigma 12-24 full frame is a very good lens optically possibly slightly sharper than my Canon 10-22. Where it fell down was on size (it is pretty big with a bulgy front element) and on handling. It was next to impossible to use filters and protecting that front element was always a concern.

I liked the Canon 10-22 very much indeed and recommend it as your first choice.

The other Sigma and Tokina lenses are all options especially if they are from that manufacturers 'Pro' range of lenses such as the Sigma EX range and if you save some monet but otherwise I would go for the Canon 10-22.

The Canon 10~22 is a very good lens, but, as is typical of UWA lenses, it has some distortion at the wide end

(less than many such lenses), some illumination fall-off (vignetting), and a bit of CA. The latest version of

Digital Photo Professional can correct all of these automatically, whereas with any off-brand lens you'd need to

buy software to do the job and probably would not have the profiles that make it automatic. Correcting such

aberrations in post-processing matters more for architectural work than for some other applications, so in my

view that's a very strong reason for choosing the Canon lens.

I'd scratch the Tokina 10-17 off of your list - it's a fisheye. All of the other lenses you list are very very good. Pick one - you can't go wrong. Note, Sigma 12-24 is a full-frame lens, very heavy, bulbous front element, won't take filters.

Note that max aperture and performance wide-open won't matter much - you'll be using the lens stopped down on a tripod.

I have a 40D and use the Canon EF-S 10-22. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron competition, reading the Canon EOS forum, online lens reviews, and ended up buying the Canon. I absolutely love the lens. I will upgrade to FF shortly, and will miss it dearly when I sell my 40D. I think that the lens is rock solid, and sharp. I just noticed the first instance of CA on some shots I took of a sunset yesterday. The CA was very minor, and easily dealt with. My recommendation is to go with the Canon EF-S 10-22 provided that you're sticking with the 30D.

Krista, I meant to mention that I have used the Canon EF-S 10-22 inside and can capture virtually an entire room at 10mm (e.g. 13'6" X 10' 6"), and from there on up it varies with the room dimensions. There is noticable distortion at 10mm with the shots, and I cannot address correction of the distortion using DPP (see Robin's reply) as I have not tried that yet.

Mick

I did some extensive research on this in last couple of weeks and finally decided for the Canon. A few things to

note -

<br>

<ul>

<li>Canon's image quality is excellent, many people rate it as L-quality. The Tokina 12-24 is also optically very

good though.

<li>On a 30D the Canon will be 16mm equivalent while the Tokina 12mm (and Sigma 12mm as well) will be 19mm

equivalent ... for wide angle use those extra 3mm WILL often count!

<li>Canon's distortion is much much lower than any of the other lenses

<li>Finally, if these do matter to you ... except for the Tokina 11-16 - Canon is the fastest at the widest

setting and Canon's total coverage (10-22) is at least at per if not better than the most

</ul>

<br>You may want to check <a href=" http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm">this

review</a>

First get a used 5D or 1Ds I or II, then a full frame 12-xx third party zoom or a used Canon 14/2.8 L. There are times when even a 10mm focal length on a crop body is not going to be wide enough. I really like a 14mm on full frame for architectural interiors. I suggest used equipment since these items combine to an expensive total!

Here's another vote for full frame, especially now with the 5D going at bargain prices. Architectural photography is very sensitive to visible distortion when the edges of walls get close to the outer frame. That's unavoidable with interior images, and it gives your photos a sickly feel when you see edges bending around the sides.

On a 30D I would try to make due with the 10-22, but I recommend a 5D and the 14mm and maybe the 20/24mm fixed lenses. Or, you could reach for the 16-35 II with the 5D, if versatility is more important. The 17-40 f4 would work almost as well on a full frame camera, but it may not be wide enough for you, in which case you could add the 14mm fixed.

Having both a full frame camera and an APS size camera, I can tell you that I use each for specific purposes. For dedicated architectural images, a 5D/17-40/14mm (and a good tripod) will serve you well. Of course once you make that step, you will find that you will want to rise to the next level with understanding and use of off-camera lighting.

Dave

Just saw your thread, so I hope this isn't too late. I have a 20D and the Canon 10-22. I love it. Sharp, wide, good color, and reliable. I also have a 5D and the Canon 17-40 and I can't say it's a superior combo to the 20D/10-22. Unless you need to make large prints and therefore need the file size of the 5D, I'd say get the Canon 10-22. If you need to get wider than that, a 5D with a Sigma 10-20(?) might be worth considering.

The 5D with a sigma 10-20 is no good match. I tried it just to check how wide 10mm is on a full frame, and I would rather recommend the 17-40. The sigma is designed for crop bodies, and leaves you with some massive vignetting through the entire zoom range as the lens does not cover the whole censor. It does only cover the middle of the censor and leaves both sides like in a circular picture.

Kristian

Thank you all SOOO very much. This has been tremendously helpful. I believe, with your help, I have decided to start with the Canon 10-22. I'm sure the others are good lenses, but it sounds like a lot of happy campers with the Canon 10-22. Also, I hope to someday upgrade to a FF, but for now... my good ol' 30D will have to suffice. Thanks again for all your help, input, and advice!

- krista