Help! Problems with Mack Camera & Video Warranty

brillb

I just got my Canon 30D back from Mack Camera & Video. I purchased an extended warranty for the camera when I

purchased the camera from B&H Photo. I paid $25 for postage and sent the camera off 2 weeks ago. I got it back today

and found that they had not fixed it. Not even 1 click. When I called them they passed me around to different people

claiming to managers, when 1 finally said that the manager had already left for the day. I told them that I wanted them to

overnight a loaner camera and send a pick up for this one until they got the repair right....or to replace the camera. No

satisfaction from them at all. I have a shoot tonight...and cannot complete it. Anyone have thoughts, other complaints or

ideas? Becky

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your comments. I have spoken with B&H and have found out that they no longer sell the Mack Extended Service Plan due to similar problems with other customers. When I went to my camera club this evening, another photographer had had the same problem, same scenario several months ago. It took them over 3 months to get a their camera back in working condition from Mackcam.com. Since B&H store out of NYC sells the product they should be approved for Canon repairs. I had spoken with Canon about this camera before sending it off and they had absolutely know idea what was wrong with it. It produces no error codes. B&H is attempting to take care of the situation and I hope that they stand behind the product and the service. I have always known them to be reputable in the past. I cannot say the same for Mackcam.com. Becky

<i>Since B&H store out of NYC sells the product they should be approved for Canon repairs. </i><p>We're sorry about your frustrating situation but I want to correct one misconception. Being an authorized retailer and being an authorized repair facility are two entirely different things. B&H is a authorized retailer for Canon, but we are NOT an authorized repair facility.<p>

--<br>

Henry Posner<br>

<b>B&H Photo-Video</b>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

Mr. Posner...

Interesting that you should post to this particular thread. I was directed to speak with you today by Hershey at your store. I was put through to "your" office at approximately 1:55 pm. today. You told me that you did not have time to deal with my problem and to email you about it over the weekend because the store was closing. I had already been on the phone for more than 6 hours over the past 2 days trying to get some assistance in this frustrating matter. However, your misconception is that your salesperson sold me an extended warranty for a Canon camera that I purchased from your store. I paid B&H for the warranty, not Mackcam. Your salesman indicated during the sale that I was purchasing an extended warranty for my "CANON" camera. I fully expected them to be authorized to fix my product. Your store never even sent me the paperwork when they shipped my camera. I have also been told in the many conversations with "managers" or supervisors in your store over the past 2 days that B & H no longer sells the Mackcam warranties due to problems such as the one that I am having. I was told that you are the director of corporate communications of B&H store. I hope you do something to remedy this problem. I was at a camera club meeting last night in Indianapolis and another member has had the same problem. They purchased the product as well as the extended warranty from B&H and the extended warranty was with Mackcam as well. They sent their product in for repair and it took them 3 months to get resolution to the problem. You wanted me to send you an email, so here is the first one. I look forward to having a Canon 30D camera that works in very short order.

Becky

B&H is neither responsible for the repair of your camera, nor obligated to supply you with a replacement. You

entered into a contract with Mack when you purchased Mack's extended service plan. Yes you bought the plan

through B&H but the contract is with Mack. If B&H still had dealing with Mack I would expect them to be able to

moderate a solution. Since B&H is no longer associated with Mack there really isn't anything they can do. I'm

sure they would help if they could. B&H has developed an excellent reputation over the years and I know they

wouldn't want something like this to sully it.

*Extended* warrantys thru a 3rd party have always been slow or not worth much; thats how they make their money. They often sound like a great protective thing but are often not worth much; whether its a car, camera or kazoo. With an extended warranty you deal with the warranty chaps ; usually not the folks who sold you the contact when you bought the item. The retailer who sells you the kazoo typically doesnt repair them when you buy an extended warranty; the kazoo goes to the place that the extended warranty has; not the retailer. If your contact is with Mack; direct your energy towards them; they are the ones who you have the warranty with.

Thanks for your responses, however I disagree. The salesman sold me an extended warranty on a Canon 30D camera. B&H Photo and Video collected the money, and therefore have responsibility in the purchase and follow through of their designated service provider unless otherwise disclosed to the consumer. I have already had people indicate their unhappiness in B&H Photo's unwillingness to be responsible for their vendor and are happy to see how they might be treated if they were buying a camera or related equipment. At this point, they are waiting to see how B&H handles this situation to see if they will purchase from them in the future. I have worked with other electronic stores and have purchased extended warranties in the past and have had immediate service or replacement by the retail store. This is just simple good will. B&H has used Canon 30D cameras in stock that could be sent to me as a loaner while my camera is "REALLY" repaired or replaced. This is indeed very bad business on the part of Mackcam.com, but B&H sold the warranty without offering any other plan. By their own admission they have had similar problems in the past.

Becky

I'm going to be very blunt here. If I sound smug, or condescending, I apologize... Becky; You are wrong. Your contract with had B&H was to provide you with your original camera in exchange for money. They fulfilled that contract, and they have no further obligation to you. Returns or exchanges are a courtesy NOT a right. You are not ENTITLED to a loaner camera from B&H. When you purchased an extended warranty B&H acted as the distributor and is NOT under any obligation to you. B&H may choose to provide you a loaner but they do not have to. What, if any, alternatives might have been available have nothing to do with it. What you remember the salesperson saying, or not saying, doesn't have anything to do with it. You have a contract with Mack for the extended warranty, not with B&H. Mack may extend the courtesy of a loaner camera to you but, unless it is stated in the extended warranty contract, they are not obligated to do so. Mack IS obligated to repair your camera unless the reasons for it's failure violate the contract. Most extended warranties only cover manufacturer defects not damage. If you camera has a bent C.F. pin, from a C.F. card being improperly inserted, that would not be covered by the extended warranty. Water, heat, or impact damage would not be covered. The details are available an Mack's web site. I am truly sorry that you are having problems. My company sells Mack and I am VERY interested in how this turns out. My customers who have needed to use Mack's service have been very satisfied. I have never had a problem with them. I have forwarded a link to this thread to Mack. I do not have any special power with Mack but I would like to see this resolved for you.

John, I appreciate your candor. But your statement "My company sells Mack" is very telling. I come from a consumer's point of view and you come from a retailer's point of view. I will leave it at that for now. I truly hope that the matter is resolved quickly and the parties involved will step to the plate.

<i>B&H Photo and Video collected the money, and therefore have responsibility in the purchase and follow through of their designated service provider unless otherwise disclosed to the consumer.</i><BR><BR>What is odd it Mack is *YOUR* service provider; since you bought the Mack warranty. Why not contact Mack; the actual company that you have a contact with; the one that you actually bought insurance with ?<BR><BR> From a distance away from a person who "doesnt sell Mack; or even Macs:) " this thread appears very odd. You bought an extended contact from A (Mack); and want B (B&H) to fix it; do the leg work; provide next day loaners; mail off the camera, eat the shipping costs; none of the stuff you have in your mack warranty. <BR><BR><b> Why not contact the actual body you have the warranty with; ie Mack?</b><BR><BR>Mack is the body you have the warranty with; why didnt you send the camera to the place you have the warranty with?<BR><BR>The issues are you are NOT dealing with the body you have the warranty with. <BR><BR>

The problem you are having is with Mack but during the course of this thread you have blamed B&H. Multiple

people have tried to point this out to you, but you insist on blaming B&H for your problems with Mack. B&H no

longer has any relationship with Mack. You are blaming the cat for what the dog did. The fact that I sell Mack's

product has nothing to do with anything. At no point have I defended Mack. <br>The big questions are:<br> (a)"Why

won't Mack honor their extended warranty?" and <br> (b)"What exactly is wrong with your camera?". <br><br>(a) I

can accept the possibility that Mack just screwed up and accidentally shipped your camera back un-repaired. It's

unfortunate and they should take steps to make the situation right. I suggest that you: 1) make a list of what

you expect Mack to do. 2) Find the terms of your extended warranty and read them. 2) Have available copies of all

correspondences you have had with Mack. 4) Calmly call Mack and ask to speak with a person of authority. 5) Tell

them the situation and exactly what you want. 6) Keep in mind, the person on the phone is trying to help you.

Yelling at them, threatening them, or blaming them personally will not make things better. <br><br> (b) What exactly

is the problem you are having with your camera? <br> 1) If the camera powers up, doesn't give any error codes,

but wont take a picture. Take a good look inside you C.F. card slot for bent pins. <br> 2) If the camera

intermittently won't autofocus the problem could be the lens or just dirty contacts. 3) If the camera is eating

batteries (and you have replaced your original battery) try cleaning the contacts inside the battery compartment

with a pencil eraser. 4) Intermittent c.f. card corruptions can be caused by dirty pins in the c.f. slot. (I've

had this problem with my D70) You can buy a c.f. buss cleaning kit from you local pro store.

Its actually common with repairs that one as a repair service gets has little if any info on what is wrong with the item; PLUS sometimes the problem cannot be duplicated at the service center. A cracked trace; flakey solder joint; tweaked board can magically get fixed for awhile during the UPS or USPS transit. An intermittent issue is a headache; its worse if there is no mention of what the problem was.

John and Kelly. The problem with the camera is that it will not read the image to the cf card. Once the shutter is clicked the read light will not go off. It will not go off even when the camera is turned off. The only way to get it off is to open the battery chamber, at which time all or most other images are stripped from the cf card.

Before sending the camera to Mackcam, I tried all of my lenses, different batteries, and different cf cards to see if one of those items posed the problem. I checked the camera for bent pins etc. as well. I also called Canon USA tech support. They had me hard reset the date and time battery along with some other diagnostic measures. This did not help. There is no error code.

I have spoken with reps from Mackcam, including the president and partner or the company. First of all, when they shipped the camera back to me they did not send with signature required, so the camera was left on my front porch in full view of anyone passing my house. They indicated that they had serviced the camera, and that it worked according to Canon specifications. I have that in writing. I did call Mackcam to speak with them about the camera and they assured me that it was repaired and that due to the fact that I was using a large format raw file the light would stay on for awhile. I explained that it did not. All symptons were conveyed to Mackcam before sending the camera to them by phone as well as in an email report and also the same description was put in the box with the camera when I sent it to them. After the camera did not work I did phone Mackcam. They told me to pack it up and send it back for a 2nd time. Since they failed to repair the camera I told them that they would need to send a pick up a call for the package at "their" expense. I also asked that they provide me with a loaner camera so that I could complete my commissioned appointments. This could have been the "end of the story" had they done that, however they did not go with that approach. That is when I looked back to B&H to back the product that they sold me. The salesman never told me anything about Mackcam when selling me the extended warranty. He merely indicated that I was purchasing an extended warranty for the Canon 30D camera for repairs or replacement; a 3 year extended warranty.

That should fill in most of the "missing pieces". John, I appreciate your thoughts. Kelly, I also appreciate your input.

"The only way to get it off is to open the battery chamber, at which time all or most other images are stripped

from the cf card." This indicates to me that the camera is still writing to the card when the memory door is

opened. The reason you are loosing your files is because the FAT (File Allocation Table) is being corrupted on

the card when the power is killed. This usually indicates a defective CF card or a problem with the CF card buss

in the camera. You said you tried multiple cards so it is unlikely that multiple cards are defective; Unless you

have a defective card reader which is nuking your cards. You asked for a loaner camera so I will assume you

don't have another body to test your cards. <br><br> At your camera store ask to borrow a known good CF card.<br>

Put it in your camera and format it.<br> Set the camera to a medium resolution and see if the problem

persists. My guess is that it will. <br><br> Take another really close look at the CF pins inside your camera.

Use a flashlight to throw some extra light in there. The pins that usually get bent are at opposite ends of the

buss. They are slightly longer than the other pins and when a CF card is inserted backwards they get bent. The

next time a CF card is inserted they get flattened. This can be VERY hard to see. <br><br>Clean your CF card

buss.<br>

Your local pro shop should sell a CF card slot cleaning kit. This kit consists of a special holder and some

fiber paper. The paper is wrapped around the holder and the whole thing is inserted into the CF slot. The pins

pierce the paper, which is slightly abrasive, and the pins are cleaned. My D70 developed a similar issue where

it wouldn't read CF cards and cleaning the buss solved the problem. <br>While you are at your local pro shop you

should talk to the people there about your camera. They might think of something we have missed. It might also

be time to upgrade your body. 40D prices are dropping with the announcement of the 50D and a working pro should

ALWAYS have a backup camera. <br> If none of this works then you have two choices. <br> 1)

Send your camera

back to Mack with a detailed list of everything you have tried.<br>

2) Send your camera to Canon and pay for a repair. Send Mack a registered letter detailing your experience with

their service and a copy of your original receipt and ask them to refund what you spent for your extended warranty.

Becky, you said..."Still on the side of the retailer..." Clearly, from the time I have put into this thread, I am on your side and trying to help. You have another problem I don't think you are aware of. You are a working professional with commitments to shoot and you only have one camera you depend on. I strongly suggest you buy a second body and demote your 30D to backup status when it is returned. I don't think any professional photog on photo.net would disagree with me on this point. You need a second body. If you had a backup body you would not have had to ask for a loaner camera and this whole mess would have been nothing more than an irritant.

<i>Interesting that you should post to this particular thread</i> <br>I realized the coincidence after we'd

spoken Friday.<p>

<i>I was put through to "your" office at approximately 1:55 pm. today. You told me that you did not have time to

deal with my problem and to email you about it over the weekend because the store was closing.</i><br>All true.

You called me within minutes of our Friday closing time and I did say we couldn't have a lengthy conversation

because of the closing time. I never received an e-mail from you. <p>

<i>However, your misconception is that your salesperson sold me an extended warranty for a Canon camera that I

purchased from your store. I paid B&H for the warranty, not Mackcam.</i><br>No misconception here. I can see your

transaction on screen. You purchased an EOS 30D and Mack extended warranty and your salesman was Jay, an employee

of such tenure and excellence he's since been promoted to sales manager. You paid B&H for two products -- one

from Canon USA and one from Mack Camera.<p>

<i>Your salesman indicated during the sale that I was purchasing an extended warranty for my "CANON"

camera.</i><br>And you did. You purchased Mack Camera's extended warranty for your Canon camera.<p>

<i>Your store never even sent me the paperwork when they shipped my camera.</i><br>Certainly we did. It was Mack

Ser # 170316. <p>

<i>You wanted me to send you an email, so here is the first one.</i><br>

This isn't an e-mail; it's a reply to a thread in a public forum.<p>

<i>I look forward to having a Canon 30D camera that works in very short order.</i><br>And we hope Mack can

provide this to you in short order.<p>

<i>If B&H still had dealing with Mack I would expect them to be able to moderate a solution. Since B&H is no

longer associated with Mack there really isn't anything they can do. </i><br>And yet we've been on the phone

repeatedly with them since this was first brought to our attention and they advised us they're prepared to

recheck Becky's camera and to provide a loaner in the interim.<p>

<i>B&H Photo and Video collected the money, and therefore have responsibility in the purchase and follow through

of their designated service provider unless otherwise disclosed to the consumer.</i><br>Primarily our

"responsibility" is to complete the terms of sale -- to ship to you the products you paid for. We did. But, B&H

has never been about the minimum which is why we're here and why we've been talking to Mack.<p>

<i>I'm going to be very blunt here. If I sound smug, or condescending, I apologize... Becky; You are wrong. Your

contract with had B&H was to provide you with your original camera in exchange for money. They fulfilled that

contract, and they have no further obligation to you. Returns or exchanges are a courtesy NOT a right. You are

not ENTITLED to a loaner camera from B&H. When you purchased an extended warranty B&H acted as the distributor

and is NOT under any obligation to you.</i><br><b>THANK YOU!</b> We will do what we can to assist in this

situation, but I appreciate this reasonable and correct understanding of the situation.<p>

<i>You are a working professional with commitments to shoot and you only have one camera you depend on.</i><br>I

agree 100000%. I shot full time for 20+ years before I came to B&H and I don't know a single pro worthy of the

name who'd dare to go out the door with one camera. Two is the bare minimum and frankly almost every pro I know

owns 4 or 5 or 6 cameras and routinely brings at least 3 to any assignment. If I hired a professional

photographer to shoot a job for me and he or she only showed up with one camera I'd blanch.<p>

We're as eager as anyone here to see this matter resolved. We regret Becky's frustration and appreciate John's

valuable and objective input.<p>Henry Posner<br><b>B&H Photo-Video</b>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

When the Canon 30d arrived here at Mack Camera and was entered into the system it was handed over to one of the

lead technicians for initial evaluation. This technician took roughly 200 photos indoors and outdoors with two

different lenses. As this technician tests the cameras as they were sent in, he did not reset the camera. The 30d

was set to RAW. We all know that RAW slows down the camera, but not THAT much. After the technician determined

that the 30d was working according to manufacturer specifications, he then got a second opinion from the head

technician. The head technician performed a quick evaluation, he found nothing wrong with the camera and it moved

on to me.

I am a professional photographer in addition to being one of the Assistant Repair Managers here at Mack Camera. I

deal with a lot of equipment on a daily basis so I constantly need to keep my camera knowledge up to date. I

always put cameras declared as 'Check's OK' through an extensive testing. I use multiple lenses, being OEM and

Aftermarket, multiple memory cards and multiple batteries (also OEM and Aftermarket). Like the lead technician

did, I shot about 200 photos. Not once did the camera lock up or slow down out of the norm. As it is impossible

to call every customer whom sends equipment in, I sent out an email informing the customer that the camera

Check's OK. I waited two business days for a response and then placed the camera in our shipping department for

processing.

Scott Kivowitz

Mack Camera & Video Service

I came into this thread a little late it seems..

I'm sorry you're having troubles with Mack, but in this instance I also agree that it is Mack who you need to be dealing with, and not B&H. Though I think it's admirable that the camera store is also contacting Mack even though you were fairly quick to blame the salespeople.

I have personally had good experience with both companies. When the camera I purchased for my mother (from a local retailer, not B&H) started acting up, we emailed Mack and they had us ship it in. She had a worked camera again in 16 days.

I've also purchased product for myself through B&H, and have always been treated well. I don't feel they are at fault in this situation.

I hope that Mack is able to get the camera back to working order, or explain why it was not put back to working order the first time if they claim that the problem is not covered. (As John stated above. Impact, heat, bent pins, etc.)

I also firmly agree that a second camera body as a backup could have saved a lot of frustration.

I too, am a semi-professional photographer. (It is not my full time job, but it is something I do frequently.)

I have two camera bodies, and access to two more through close friends in case something happens to one of mine.

That way my camera problems in no way inconvenience my client.

Also, to mirror Mr. Prosner, an authorized dealer is just that. They are allowed to distribute the product. An authorized repair facility is completely different. B&H has so much product, and so many salespeople/support staff, they don't have room for a repair facility there.

Becky, I wish you luck in getting this matter resolved quickly. Please update this thread and let us know the outcome.

Scott; Becky has indicated that she has shipped the camera back to Mack. Would you please inform the technician of the intermittent nature of her problem and have him fully inspect the internals of her camera. I have never looked inside a 30D but I assume there is a CF buss controller board connected to the main PC board of the camera with a ribbon cable. It is very, very rare but these cables can work loose and cause intermittent problems.