Stymied over Lowepro Bags

expats

I bought a Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW and am not impressed. It was a craps shoot that didn't work out. I knew that

when I bought it. With a Canon 40D + battery grip, a 24-105 f/4L, and a 50 f/1.4, plus odds and ends, it leaves

me with tremendous back pain if carried for more than an hour. It was fine with my 400D body.

I want a bag with a full backpack harness for comfort reasons. I move around a lot and I think that's the best

option. That rules out the much of the Trekker line, as the straps and harness are minimal.

I'm considering the Nature Trekker AW II, or the Compu Rover AW II. Laptop storage isn't a big concern as I use a

ASUS eeepc and it needs almost no room. The Compu Rover seems to have more room for stuff (clean shirt or a pair

of socks) but the Nature Trekker seems better able to hold my gear securely. As I often fly airline carry-on

compatibility is also a consideration.

Does anyone have experience with either bags? Or another brand/option.

Thanks,

Steve

Like a shoulder bag, a sling bag puts too much pressure on your trapezius muscles, which is painful and tiring after a short while. Back pain is probably a consequence of adjusting your posture to take the pressure off your neck.

Have you looked at a Lowepro Mini Trekker? It's the same size as my Computrekker, but without a pocket for a laptop. Actually, the laptop pocket is useful to carry other items, such as a Color Checker chart or grey card. With either, you'd have a lot of room left over - you really don't have much to carry (one body and two small lenses). A Micro Trekker might work. In any case, two straps are better than one with any load carried more than a couple of hours.

Arguably the best backpacks for air travel are made by Think Tank (http://www.thinktankphoto.com). The rectangular shape is very space efficient, they are made very well and have three handles (top, side and bottom) for convenience.

The trekker line tend to be heavy unloaded, but they are the only packs that I can fit my large cameras in, so those are what I use. I can say that the Nature Trekker does a fairly good job on long hikes with a heavy load. If you want a true backpack frame setup you're likely going to lose the ability to carry on...

- Randy

I have the LowePro slingshot 300 and the Photo Trekker AW and I used to own a Nature Trekker AW that was stolen. I like the slingshot because it allows quick access to the camera compartments without removing the pack from your body. But, if I plan on wearing it for more than a couple hours I take the Photo Trekker because, despite being much heavier, it is much more comfortable.

I have a Photo Trekker, which I currently use for my medium format (Hasselblad) gig-rig. This is a very large bag, second from the top of the Lowepro Trekker lineup. At times I have used it with a pro video camera (Canon XL-2) or a Speed Graphic. It is a full 6 inches deep, and will hold a pro DSLR (with grip) flush with the top, or a CF250/5.6 Sonnar on end. The Computrekker Plus is the same size but only 5" deep. The harness on the Computrekker is much less fussy (but less adjustable) than that of the Phototrekker. I find it just as comfortable. Thinktank backpacks have a simplified harness very similar to the Computrekker lineup.

I personally own the Slingshot 100 AW... and I find it great. I've been on short hikes with it, fairly long nature photography trips with it. And I find it just fine. Maybe there's a possibility that you need to re-adjust your 200 AW? maybe not. Well If not I've been looking at the Flipside line made by Lowepro. It probably won't hold your laptop but I don't think that's a necessity is it? They come in different sizes obviously. They have an excellent security feature so when your at the airport those pesky pickpockets don't nab your expensive lens behind your back. The compartment for your gear opens on the side that rests against your back. It also holds a tripod. It's a backpack so the weight should even out on 2 shoulder's rather then one. So you just might find that comfort your looking for in this line. Check it out on Lowepro's website, look for reviews. Hope this helps. I want to know your final decision too. If I could. Thanks. :-)

Chris

Steve, I feel your pain. I have a Lowe Super Trekker AW; it's a cavernous thing that can swallow tons of gear. It also has lots of excellent padding, making it a great camera bag. The suspension, however, makes it probably the worst backpack I've ever owned. Absolute crap for more than a few miles, IMO.

If you want a truly good camera pack, I suggest forgetting about most of the packs that are sold as camera bags. Go to Sportsmans Warehouse and buy an external frame Kelty pack. Then buy or build some padded inserts to hold your photo gear. You'll not only have a 300% better pack (and one that you can use for non-photo purposes) but you'll probably save some dough. (There is a company that actually makes a photo pack based on a Kelty, but I don't remember who it is. Perhaps someone can fill that in.)

you really owe it to yourself to look at Thinktank Photo's offerings. They are actually designed by working photojournalists along with the 3 of the former heads of LowePro's design team and are extensively field tested by working photographers.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com

( I've got no connection to TTP, I just got tired of other people's bags, packs and belt systems not working the way I thought they should.)