Choosing my first medium format system

dirk_fungus

I have been shooting with 135 mm cameras for almost 20 years, both digital and film. However I would very much like to start shooting

with medium format. What attracts me is the big viewfinder, resulution and of course the relatively reasonable prices. I have read a lot, but

I still have many questions.

My plan is to use the medium format camera for portraits and landscapes, mainly, and maybe a little macro. Hence I need two lenses, a

wide angel and a short telephoto lens. I have been thinking about what film format to choose, and I think I like 6x6 best, but 6x7 could be

an alternative. I think 645 will be too small compared to 135 mm.

Weight and size is no problem. I will be using a tripod most of the time. I do not need a prism finder or light metering, a waist level finder

will do. And I certainly do not need autofocus. I want to spend $ 800-1000 (camera body, waistlevel finder, one 120-back and two lenses).

Hasselblad is too expensive. I have considered Bronica sq-ai or Mamiya RB67 PRO, but I would very much like to hear your opinions.

Best regards,

Dirk

PS, Please excuse me for my English. I hope you understand what I am writing.

I'd recommend Hasselblad too. The used prices are unbelievably low (I think there will be a bounce up again someday). They are very well built. Superb optics. Easy to get parts for because despite their initial price, a lot of pros used them, and have now sold their systems and moved to digital or the H1, easy to get serviced, etc.

Your biggest problem will be a macro lens. Most of the medium format lenses don't focus that close. Cameras with built in bellows, like the Mamiya 67 and Fuji 6x8 may focus closer. The Hasselblad 120mm is the closest thing to a macro lens, and it still doesn't focus as close as what you would consider macro in a 35mm lens. I think I'd save your money on a macro and buy a bellows unit instead, using your normal 80mm lens. The Hasselblad bellows are relatively inexpensive now, and Novoflex makes a really nice (albeit colorful) bellows that has a lot of movement. With the Hasselblad, you get 12 shots per 120 roll, and get more medium format images for your money, while obviously the 6x7 or so will give you 10 images per roll.

There is a noticable difference in image quality between a 645 or cropped 6x6 vs a 6x7 because the 6x7 has around a 65% increase in film area over 645. The RB is a great camera for a tripod but the Pro S version will enable you to put better quality lenses on it should you wish too, but, of course, it's also more expensive.

Dirk: Over the last three years I have amassed a nice Bronica SQ-A system that I am very pleased with it and can recommend it. I've used RB67's for years and I still have my RZ67 system. The bronies are light! and with the grip, handle much like a big 35mm. The Zenzanon PS lenses are GREAT and, of course, at bargin prices. The RZ67 is a wonderful camera and was fine in the studio (now replaced by MF digital) but too much for me to lug around. I have the PS 110mm macro lens and it is super sharp! For a grand you can have an entire system with two bodies if you hunt down the ebay bargains! Good luck in your medium format search........................Lou

No doubt all the above discussed cameras are all very good. Have you ever considered Mamiya C330? It is an interchangeable lens TLR that has in-built bellow. Here, your macro is taken care of. There are quite a variety of lenses available including 40mm for your wide work. This will indeed sync at 1/500 flash. Though this camera is no more in production, there are some that are in good condition going around in ebay. Grab one and you are set to go. I specially use TLRs for long exposure work like star trails or fireworks as you are able to see a "live-view" of what you are taking.

Good luck...

I own a Bronica GS-1 and a Mamiya 645AFDII and love both cameras. The Bronica is larger and a bit heavier, but very

light compared to the RB/RZ-67. The glass on the Bronica is super sharp and very high quality. With the speed grip, it

handles very well without a tripod. To me, the main limiting factors of this camera are the limited availability of lenses and

slow 1/500 sec max shutter speed. The Bronica is my "go out and shoot with a purpose" camera, but my Mamiya, which I

love equally, is my "cary around all day because I don't know what I'll find" camera. If you bought a Bronica GS or SQ, I

can assure you that you would love it.