Monopod mounting D200 & 70-200VR with MB-D200 + TC-17E

iangriffiths

Hi all,

I am off to a motorsport event this weekend and need some advice on the best way to mount the camera to my monopod.

Usually if I just use the D200 & 70-200, then I mount the tripod to the lens foot. However on this event, I will

also have the teleconverter & battery pack on the camera, so this will obviously change the balance of the whole

setup.

As far as I can see, no matter where I mount the camera, either on the lens foot or the battery pack, it will put

excessive strain on the lens mount. I know handheld will be ok as both ends are supported.

My questions are...

1, Has anyone else had this situation and safely attached the monopod to either the lens or camera, if so which?

or

2, Is there a bracket or similar I can get that supports both the camera and lens that attaches to a monopod?

Sorry for a weird question, but I'm just a bit paranoid that something might break when I'm panning, etc.

Many thanks

Ian

I use the <i>exact</i> rig that you describe (D200 with grip, TC17, 70-200VR on a monoopd) regularly. I've never once felt that the 70-200's foot or the lens mount (to the body) was even close to being strained. That's a very solid lens, a very solid TC, and a very solid body. No worries.

<br><br>

I only use the TC once in a while, but it's not changing the physics of the situation much at all. Your only real concern is if you give the system a hard shock, which asks a lot of all of the mating points, because of the g-forces involve. Just be sensible about how you carry/handle. Once you're in place and shooting, you'll be just fine.

Ian: make a point of testing your shooting style and exposure techniques with and without VR used on the lens. Depending on your technique, that can work for and against you when on a monopod at certain shutter speeds. My general impression, over time, is that the VR is better used than not used - but make a point of doing some quick sequential shots with and without (all other things being the same) under varying circumstances, so that you can decide that issue for yourself when you're back in front of the computer and can be critical about what you're seeing.

Have fun! Hopefully (at an event like that) you've got a good quality multicoated filter on the snout of that spendy lens. I've been very glad now, on more than one occasion, that the front element of the lens wasn't hanging out in the wind. Happy shooting.

If you continue to support the lens via its tripod collar with the monopod, why would this set up put any additional

stress on the lens mount? The mount will have to support the D200 body and the battery pack, with or without the TC-

17e.

The addition of the TC-17e will shift the center of gravity of the rig backward. In that sense it may be a bit more

awkward to hold.

AF will be slower with the addition of the TC. Potentially using VR will slow things down further to obtain

stabilitzation. If you are shooting high shutter speeds to freeze the motion anyway, you might want to switch VR off.