Crooked Negatives with A12 back?

connor_roelke

Hi everyone.

I purchased an A12 back for my Hasselblad 500c from KEH in BGN condition a month or so ago. I have started

scanning some of the first rolls of film (I've been away) and I'm noticing that the negatives are crooked. I'm scanning

with an Epson 4490, and when I go to crop the negatives to leave a little bit of border, two sides are always crooked.

Not even like a pixel or so, they seem really off. What could be happening? I'll attach a file to demonstrate the

problem. (Please excuse the bad shot... :P)<div>00QnYq-70292284.thumb.jpg.bb117881361ab3b35bb5672a6e3a498c.jpg</div>

This may have more to do with the way the negative sits in the scanner's film holder than with the A12 back, especially if you have to cut out individual frames instead of scanning a strip. Look at the frames in a strip. If they're square with the film edges and with each other, the problem is not the back. What you describe is not an unusual occurrence with my Mikrotek 1800f film holder which requires individual frames, but does not appear when I use the Better Scanning holder which holds strips of four frames.

Ah, no worries then Connor,

back to the main issue, I have an Epson 4870 with the stock plastic film holders that I proof my 120 film with. It seems there is

a tad of play sideways with those holders and I cant always get a nice even clean border on all sides either.

I seriously doubt there is a problem with your Blad back.

I'd bet if you really want the border you can line up the neg and rescan.

i also have this problem with my A12 back(type 30074 hasselblad classic camera ). holding the negatives up to the light you should be to

tell if the sides are uneven or not. I use an epson 4990 scanner and some of my film (most of it) exhibits this problem. anyway i know its

the back in my case so its time i send it off for repair. I hear David Odess does a good job with hasselblad repair .hope this helps. Don

Scan the negative flat on the glass of the scanner (without the negative holder). Do this to rule out the defect on the negative holder.

Bring the scan in Photoshop, pull 1 vertical guide line, 1 horizontal guide line, rotate the image till the border match the guides (both horizontal ans vertical). Then you will see if:

1- the back is defective

2- or the negative holder is defective

I suspect the #2

good luck

• 1 month later...
I've experienced a similar issue before with my A12 back. I use a grid acute matte d focus screen to make sure all my horizons and vertical lines are perpendicular to the borders of the frame when I shoot and thought I was going crazy when I had noticed a similar crookedness in some of my negatives. Upon investigation though I found that a slight misalignment of back to body was the culprit and I haven't had any trouble since. Try this: when attaching the back or simply before every shot, hold your thumbs at the left and right ends of the back along the top and press down to make sure that the back is evenly connected to the body. In the case of my back (again an A12, from 1984) there is the slightest give which makes all the difference (and could indicated that I myself need a CLA on it but since I seem to have identified the problem I'm in no rush). I hope that provides some help.