Voigtlander: 28/35 minifinder vs 28mm round metal finder

ray .

Yes, I suspect that the round 28mm gives you more space around the bright lines, and more eye relief. This comes at a "cost" of lower magnification, 0.43 as opposed to 0.5 on the 28/35 mini-finder. So the virtual image is smaller.

I have the 28/35, there's very little space beyond the 28mm framelines. The 35mm framelines can be a bit fidgety to see, you have to back off your eye a bit to light them up.

Yes, that is indeed the difference. I have used the 28/35, but now I only have the 35mm round metal viewfinder, it is one of the very best and brightest I have ever used. The main difference as I see it is that the round 35mm finder is fantastic and the minifinder is compact, two very different animals.

Yours,

Michael

i own the 28/35 and i've used the 28 and both give space aroundn the 28 frame lines, however the 28 is bigger and brighter (it seems brighter than my eye)... the 28/35 however is no slouch either and in the end I opted for the versatility of the smaller, more compact finder that I use on my M3 and on my GRD...

I own the minifinder and it is OK, also the 35 mm round finder. The 35mm round finder is more accurate than the minifinder,

although I pesonally don't need that accuracy (I purchased the mini for its 28mm frameline, not wanting to pay extra for the

round 28mm VF).

One other difference. On my Leica IIIc, the 28/35 minifinder is a much tighter fit in the camera's shoe than any of my other shoe accessories (meter, metal finder, 15mm plastic finder, etc.). The good news--it certainly won't fall out. The bad news--it's a challenge to put it back in its little velvet bag.

That said, all these finders are approximations. The round one is a little easier to use wearing glasses.

• 2 weeks later...
Not wanting to start a new thread, I hope this one isn't dead yet. Can anyone tell if the extra field of view outside the 28mm brightlines on the 28/35 CV minifinder approaches 24mm? I just got a Panasonic Lumix LX3 and -if that is the case- the minifinder would cover three of my four most used focal lengths.