OMG...Let the Rumor Mill Start Spinning

mountainvisions

In addition to Rogers K20D thread I thought this was relevant as a separate thread.

From the Pentax site I pulled the exif for the 35mm DA Limited lens and sure enough it's 17MP.

Thus ahead of Photokina we can expect Pentax to be putting out a 17MP camera and thus trickling down the 14.5 to

a cheaper DSLR with the 14.5MP CMOS.

Now will we see this camera/sensor at Photokina, or will it be some time before this sensor is ready to go. Seems

too soon, but then we've been complaining there is no base model camera.

So perhaps the K200D is now the $400 base model, then a mid range CMOS (maybe K20D stays in production as that),

and then a slightly higher model with the 17MP sensor.

Come on Pentaxian's, it's been at least a few weeks since I have seen a good "when are we getting new cameras"

threads filled with rumors and innuendo. If we want to be more like Canon and Nikon (and Sony added for Lindy's

benefit) we need to keep these threads alive. You will never go a day on those other forums without a thread like

this!

So what are your thoughts on this new 17MP camera that would surpass in MP all but the 1Ds (just as the K20D did)

and perhaps the 17MP actually might rival the 1Ds in lines of resolution (which is possible since the 10MP D200

had more lines than the 12MP 5D).

[Overview]

URL: http://www.pentaxslr.com/images/samples/lenses/35/high-rez/image2.jpg

File type: JPEG

File size: 15,171.4 KB

Creation date: 9/9/2008 12:50

Last modification: 9/9/2008 12:50

Dimension: 3402 x 5120 px (17.4 MP, 2:3)

Nor in mine, only what I posted above.

However, if Pentax tested this lens on a 17.4MP sensor, then it must be Pentax as I'm doubtful they bought a Canon or Nikon and used an adapter if you get my drift.

So while this is just a rumor, since the 17.4MP photo came from the Pentax site, I am going to guess it's a Pentax 1.5X sensor.

How long has that photo been on the website? I think it's been up for a least several months--I know it's been up since

at least June, because I saw it when I first started researching the DA 35mm.

Also, has any tested the DA 35 on a film body? If it works, it seems possible to me that the photo of interest could be a

film scan. Anyone have any idea how to tell the difference?

All that being said, if Pentax releases a sensor that can consistently produce that kind of image at ANY iso, then i'm

going to have a seriously hard not stealing one. If that happens, don't worry, I'll get plenty of exciting pictures of the

cops chasing me before they actually catch me.

Best 5D Mark II Rumour has it launching with 21mp:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d2_3d_7d.html

And Sony today officially announced their 24.6mp full frame antishake body:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/sony_a900.html

Indeed its that time of month, every other year when Photokina Show happens. As usual the camera makers launch

new hush hush products in two weeks leading up to show. Nikon got the ball rolling early with D700, their second full

frame launch the past 10 months.

I've seen a broad range of pentax rumours. Benjikan ,I think, shot down the 17.4 mp pentax sensor rumour due to his

contacts say'n "no". Metadata is compelling though so I say count the days to Sept 23rd: 14, and watch daily for

new imaging products from everyone.

Good Times!

Lindy

Check the pixel dimensions of the image... yup, the jpeg is 17.4 MPix. 3400ppi doesn't line up with any CCD film scanner I know of, unless it's overscanned and downsampled (why would you do this and still leave it so big?) or APS-C Cropped out of 35mm film (again, why?). Which leaves either a new sensor or drum-scanned film.

It would also fall short of the Sony A900's 24.6mp sensor in terms of pixel count. Not sure if the 5D-replacement will actually appear this fall or not but it wouldn't be very surprising if Canon offers a fairly gaudy pixel count as well.

I wonder how many threads this week will include "OMG" in the subject heading...

I happen to know that the image you've got there is a crop of the 24MP FF Pentax sensor, Justin! The DA 35 won't work properly on a FF sensor, so it's got a Nikon-style auto crop mode.

Either that or it was put on the 30MP 645 digital back with an adapter...

...if we want to do rumours, then lets get wild! :-)

If that DA 35 Ltd shot is a crop from a FF digital sensor, then its pixel count would be 35MP. I would be

**VERY** surprised if Pentax/Samsung had a working 35MP FF sensor for Photokina, let alone back in June, when

Adam says he saw this picture.

It would make more sense to put this 17MP sensor in a D300 type camera while keeping (and reducing the price of)

the K20D and the K200D in the line-up. Then Pentax would have a 3 tier system that would make a whole lot more

sense. And also, if they keep producing the K20D and pricing it at $800 from reputable sellers, they would sell

'em like donuts at a police convention. And let's not talk about how well the K200D could sell at $450-500 with

the kit lens.

That's my "Sensible Rumour" :-)

LOL, Mis! Ok, now I have it straight...geez, I don't know what I was thinking. ;-> But, if the K10 --> K20--> K?? has gone 10MP, 14.4MP, 35MP(?) then shouldn't the next model be the K30? Oh, right, I forgot that Pentax Marketing was in charge of the nomenclature...How about the *istDL35+ ? That is sure to be a winning name...

"It would make more sense to put this 17MP sensor in a D300 type camera while keeping (and reducing the price of) the K20D and the K200D in the line-up. Then Pentax would have a 3 tier system that would make a whole lot more sense. And also, if they keep producing the K20D and pricing it at $800 from reputable sellers, they would sell 'em like donuts at a police convention. And let's not talk about how well the K200D could sell at $450-500 with the kit lens.

That's my "Sensible Rumour" :-)"

Well said, sounds like something I said, and hard to argue with solid logic like that.

Yep, I'm hoping for a D300/E-3 type camera + keep the K20D where it should be around $800 + and drop the D200 to the low end where you will have a good chance of stealing some share.

Justin, as logical as having the 3 cameras would be, they won't do it. you'll remember we had this discussion the last time and felt that keeping the K100D Super would make sense as an entry level unit to grab those new buyers at a low price. The Super lasted 3 months???

You scenario would be much smarter and offer the new user a choice as well as the advanced users.

What I don;t get is that camera sales are not where the profits are. But they get people on your brand and buying lenses where the real money is. Offer some different choices to get people on the brand and buying lenses. LBA is where it's at and it's contagious as we all know.