Statue of Liberty and NYC skyline

gregp

I will be in New York City for a week late October. I have found the forums full of useful location suggestions. I would

like to ask a specific question from the NYC experts. Is there a location where one can photograph the statue of

Liberty in the foreground with the city skyline as the background. I had thought Liberty Park in NJ would be the best

location. Looking at a map, however, it seems I can photograph the skyline or the statue but not both. Thank you, in

advance, for your help.

Liberty State Park has great views of Lady Liberty. Too bad it is of her butt! The best place to get the Statue of Liberty and the skyline is from the ferry going to Liberty Island. As it approaches the ferry dock, it makes a 90 degree right turn. For a fleeting moment, your picture will come together.

The Statue of Liberty faces east, so get on the first ferry for the best light. Also, go to the top deck of the ferry and be on the starboard side (right hand side when facing the direction of the boat). If at all possible, be along that rail. You'll get a great view of the statue head on, then the aforementioned view as you make the turn.

Either ferry, from Manhattan or Jersey City, will put you in the right spot.

You might try the Staten Island ferry. It's right at Battery Park, it's free and passes very close to the Statue. Also

on the Staten Island side of the harbor, you might be able to get a shot of the Statue with lower Mahattan behind her,

although since she faces Brooklyn, you'll be catching her from the right side rather than head on.

You'll also see some great views of the harbor in general, the Verrazano narrows and bridge, Brooklyn and New

Jersey.

Figure about an hour for the whole trip, if you get right back on the next boat leaving Staten Island as soon as you

get off that one the got you there.

Louis

Hoboken, Weehawken, West New York (NJ) are also good places to take pictures of Manhattan. Hoboken can be reached by Path, Weehawken by ferry and West New York by bus from Port Authority. All the places are further north than Liberty State Park so they offer view of mid-Manhattan section. Good if you are into panoramic views (including George Washington Bridge way on the left).

Thank you everyone for your advice. For daytime shooting the ferry seems ideal. For photographing at dusk with a tripod, I will need a

steady platform. Has anyone photographed the skyline from Port Jersey Blvd (Jersey City) or Half Moon Isle? They seem on the map to

have the correct angle.