Engagement party - Advice needed

blades

Hi Guys

My Boy has asked me to shoot some engagement party pics for him, in a couple of weeks time, so its a little bit like

a disco enviroment. I use a D80 with a 18-135mm and a 50mm 1.8f, built in flash only.

What recomendations do you guys have an getting the best results, camera settings etc, shall i use my tripod. i

hope to get alot of shots of people dancing etc. post examples if poss

thanks in advance as always

The D80 is good enough, but is not very good in low-light condition for people dancing... for the dans 1/45sec. is already long

(exception if you want to have long tale... as 'photo-key') _ of course you can use your flash, but you'll lose the atmosphere _

you'll need tripod only if you are planing to use a speedlite transmitter, and second flash, or for some formal photography.

50/1.8 is good to shoot as photojournalist...

Mark, many before you have asked similar questions about shooting people dancing, shooting in disco lighting, dark locations, etc. You may search this forum's archives and read the many responses that will help you. I've responded to a number of these in the past, and you may click my name and see a list of the ones I've responded to. There are many ideas and techniques out there, and more than one way to "skin a cat". I hope this helps you!