Germany - Photography Ethics and Customs

monica_brown

Just wondering if anyone knows any website (in English preferably) that provides a guide of current photography

ethics and customs requirements going in and out of Germany. Most interested to hear stories or tips especially

from Australian photographers out there who's been there and done it in the past - as we don't want to be caught

out of pocket by unexpected import fees/duties or delays at customs office at the airport. Especially after a

30hr trip.

Fortunately, you will hardly notice any border anything when leaving Germany. Europe is quite modern, nothing

changes between countries, no border, no stop, not even slowing down from the 100 mph + driving clip. ...

except for the markings on the road, the service in the fast trains.

Now when bringing in camera equipment, nothing, nobody, nada cares about it either. What a disappointment for

those want-to-be semi profs, I guess.

If you were to import a 200,000 Euro + film camera set plus crew, you would probably need some papers etc etc.

But I assume you have less than 50 pounds of gear along? Am I right. So, enjoy the 30 hours of flight and walk

right through the green customs line when you arrive, since all your gear is personal. And nobody will care

either when you leave.

Is Australian customs still the nightmare of old, I am wondering? If so, I am sorry.

Yeah Australian Customs is pretty tight. For my hobbyist gear (worth less than $3000) I have to fill up a special form and declare them at departure i.e. must bring everything as a carry-on. Else surprise surprise on the way back - 10% GST and about 5% import duty plus admin fees for stuff that you already owned.

Wasn't sure about the rules in Germany. Suppose best bet is to go to their embassy which I might do, but just wondering what everyone else has experienced in the past, after hearing from my German tutor who was charged import duty for bringing an A3 printer worth only $1500 into Germany and almost charged again coming back into Australia. That doesn't sound as easygoing as you described it, but maybe she just had bad luck.

Well, an A3 size printer sounds like a sizable box, but camera equipment is just that: flotsam of the tourist trade ...

But be worried stiff, if you like. I constantly fly abroad with well over $ ... all around the world and have not been to Australia, I

am afraid. But throughout the rest of the world: no issue, nada!

Be worried, then and ask Pontius and Pilate, by all worrisome means ...

Traveled from New Zealand to Frankfurt, explored Italy Switzerland and Germany, returned via Munich and Hong Kong with a whole bunch

of Leica gear (I take everything as carry-on) last year -- no problem anywhere. No problem in Oz either on previous trips, except for huge

queue and few staff at Sydney airport.