LightRoom - semi-locked up

Just set-up / installed a new printer (HP Pro8550) running Mac OSX 10.5.4. Seems to be working fine with CS2

after I worked with the settings & profiles a bit. My issue is LR (think version 1.4). After the 8550

installation I opened up LR, which opened to the printing module I was last in. All seemed OK, went into the

Color Mgmt area to set the correct paper profile, and now the "Choose Profiles" dialog box won't go away. Hit

cancel, make selections... nothing changes. Oddly, I can still make some adjustments to to the selected image to

print, but can't access any of the other modules. Went back into the Choose Profiles menu, a new, identical box

appeared, but disappears when I make selections, hit OK or Cancel.

Restarted LR, then the computer, then uninstalled the printer and restarted LR. The "Choose Profile" box pops up

first thing and will not allow me to close it.

Any suggestions???

When two things happen together, we often make a correlation and suggest that one thing caused the other.

That sometimes is the case and sometimes not.

It may be that for some reason or another Lightroom has become corrupted in the instructions set that allows it to function as you wish and that corruption may not have been uncovered until you set about putting it to this new use.

Why not uninstall Lightroom (saving your library), and then re-install it? If you started with an upgrade from an original older Lightroom version, Adobe has pretty well hidden on its site the Lightroom 1.4 upgrade, but it was there not too long ago, and I think you still can find it if you have to re-install from an earlier version.

Just because two things happen at the same time doesn't mean they're related. They may be or may not be in this case. If you use the scientific method (reinstall Lightroom and all updates), then you have more info to go on if you have continued failure or the problem may just go away.

Best wishes.

John (Crosley)

You also didn't state if you had closed Photoshop CS2 when working with printing. If you didn't close it, try closing it first and then attempting your task before you do anything more drastic, in even a software conflict has locked up your printer software and that conflict goes away if you shut down CS2. It also may be that you have a 'default' somewhere re: CS2 and this printer that has to be changed. I don't pretend to expertise in this area, but several times just changing 'default' status has gotten me out of otherwise seemingly insurmountable jams regarding printers.

John (Crosley)

Thanks John. Finally getting back to this after getting more methodical in my attempts. Sticking to one paper (Advanced Glossy) and CS2. Also profiled the monitor w/ Spyder 3. Have been able to get a pretty good print with this combination, and checked it against LR after that and was also good. Moved on the the HP-Hahnemuhle FA Bayrta with CS2, using the ICC profile inherent with the printer software, and again with a ICC profile posted on Yahoo's 9180 list. Both prints were identically "off". I have access to a Dell (Windows XP), so will run some tests and see...