Canon teaser ads for new DSLR - It won't be too long...

hawkman

"The point is, jump ship might happen for the higher end DSLRs too."

I somewhat doubt it... while you are correct in your particular situation, I think that is the exception, not the rule. I have a significant investment in L lenses, and most paid photogs and pros are in the same boat. It's a major cost to overhaul your entire collection. Not only would I need to buy a new body, but I would also need the 24-70 F2.8, 14-24 F2.8, and 70-200 F2.8 VR. Not a cheap prospect in any sense. Plus, since I always need a backup body, I would also need to purchase a second body... likely a D300 or D90 which is a $1000-$1800 prospect to tack on top. Not to mention any flashes or other equipment that isn't cross-platform compatible.

All said and done, it's a stretch to think that anyone with any kind of investment in one system is going to 'jump ship' no matter what the other side offers. For the most part, barring a major advantage, D3/D300 shooters are Dx/Dxxx shooters and 1D/5D shooters are xD shooters.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 7D picture in dpreviwe forum is probably fake. So I am not sure the credibility of the information about 5D upgrade. Canon China is not leaking 7D this time.

BTW some of the forum members mentioned that the 7D is 1.3x crop camera and will be positioned between 50D and new 5D. Again - I am not sure how credible this information is... but I never thought there would be any new camera from Canon with 1.3X crop factor...

Will have to wait until some Canon web site leaks it or announces it...

"This means there is some reference to "7D" may be file name or the name of the image..."

Nope. It just means people have been linking to that page on other websites while referencing "7D". You can bring up the page source on the EVOLUTION page, but it's just the normal html; everything is inside the swf (flash).

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/SonyDSLRA900/

MSRP with IS built into the body for less than $3000!

Now that Sony has announced it's suggested retail price perhaps Canon will come forward.

The photos in the DP Review and the price of the Sony sure do make it an attractive alternative. Now if Canon wil bring the 21 MP 5D MK II in for less than $2500, That would be interesting.

"The photos in the DP Review and the price of the Sony sure do make it an attractive alternative. Now if Canon wil bring the 21 MP 5D MK II in for less than $2500, That would be interesting."

With this image quality at ISO 200

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA900/FULLRES/YDSC00098.HTM

This camera offers no competition for either Canon or Nikon at this time.

>> This camera offers no competition for either Canon or Nikon at this time.

Well, we can't conclude at this time unless A900 is shot side by side with Canons/ Nikons same time, same lighting conditions, similar settings. I observed though that the shadow areas in the scene are very well exposed without blowing up highlights of the sky, so I guess good dynamic range handling is there.

One more thing is A900 weights just 850 grams which is unbelievable. Have they used plastic to reduce the weight?

On paper :light weight, in body image stabilization, low price (if iti is 3000$) looks promising for the Full Frame DSLR. Lens also look good (although the pricing is unkown at this point of time) Just dont know how A900 system will behave in the field. Will have to wait for tests. It would be good if Bob Atkins can test it. dpreview / imaging-resource / luminous landscape will produce their test reports anyway.

"Well, we can't conclude at this time unless A900 is shot side by side with Canons/ Nikons same time, same lighting conditions, similar settings. I observed though that the shadow areas in the scene are very well exposed without blowing up highlights of the sky, so I guess good dynamic range handling is there.

"

I am not sure what you are looking at, look at foreground it is crawling with noise and digital artifacts. No modern DSLR camera has this much noise in well lit ISO200 shot--I am sorry.<div>00Qnc0-70305584.thumb.jpg.db8de10a3c82eb9e572ac7311e337f70.jpg</div>

Here is a comprasion between the Sony 24 mpixel and Nikon D700, despite having twice as many pixels Sony captures less fabric detail. Those extra megapixels only create aditional heat when you process the images in your computer. I think it is time for people to realize that more in numbers is not always better. This is similar to the situation with respect to CPUs a few year back when all they were doing was increasing core clock frequency. After a while Intel realized the apprach was wrong and started moving towards more efficient architectures instead of more "MHz". The same will happen in camera market. Nikon has already picked a 12 Mpixel healthy sesnsor...I hope Canon doesn't make Sony's mistake.

Sony a900

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/pics/AA900hSLI0800_crop.jpg

Nikon D700

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/pics/D700hSLI00800_crop.jpg

Agreed, Agreed!

I saw other sample shots on other websites too.. and A900 does seem to be noisier than other full frames.

Imaging resource (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA900/AA900A.HTM) mentioned that they tested on

production A900 ("we've just posted a full Sony A900 review based on an early production sample camera". How ever

how this was possible, since A900 is yet to come to market).

They did mention that there is noise even at ISO 200. They mentioned few good points too - to mention a few.

However it is true that at this price point one would not expcet that high amount of noise.

Pros

# Built-in SteadyShot image stabilization

# Surprisingly fast, given the amount of data the camera is pushing around

# Good color rendering: Natural without seeming flat

# Huge viewfinder image, really hearkens back to the days of film SLRs (in a good way)

"since A900 is yet to come to market"

It isn't uncommon for reputable review website like Imaging resource to have a sample camera before it is released to the public, dpreview.com has a preview too with a sample gallery so Sony was apparently confident of the samples going online. It is likely that they even have the 5D replacement and are producing a preview as of now...

The alpha surely has a nice finder and I actually like the style of the body, looks like a manual professional camera, but my point was unfortunately at this price ($3000) which is the same as Nikon D700 with more features and better image quality it is hard to imagine that Nikon and Canon will be forced to rethink their pricing policy. If this camera was priced at something closer to $1500-$2000 (which btw used to be the very top of the line film cameras before digital) then it would offer some competition and maybe cause prices to drop a bit...but as it as, I don't see many people who would be looking at D700 and 5D replacement considering this camera...

Canon is <b>cheating</b> by letting the moon turn the reverse way around the Earth and going slower than the real moon. The part showing Mare Crisium (the small round 'sea' at the upper right edge) is the first to become exposed after New Moon. The sunlight should have appeared on the right hand side and we would have the correct model name exposed way sooner! In fact, the progress is also much slower than our current real moon. We have a waxing gibbous moon already. It is lagging by a week or so. So the hypothesis that Full Moon will be the date the new camera is revealed may not be correct either, count on a week later, at the start of Photokina.