Wedding Couple wants RAW images

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

``He is an [amateur] photographer and I think he wants to play around with the files.``

Hi John,

Yes, I read that. I should have been more explicit.

I meant more detail, in a general and profile sense.

I was just interested in David`s gut feel of the Groom.

For example, as two extremes:

``I think he wants to play around with the files because he just wants 86 B&W variations on a theme, and he is kinda a nice guy, I think he would get enjoyment out of fiddling with that type of thing``

or

``I think he really wants the RAW files so he has complete control over all the images, he will never be happy with any of the finished product I produce``

I think the thread has been thrashed to death in all ways possible. I only asked because my curiosity was triggered about what ``type of guy`` the Groom was perceived as, in David`s eyes.

That curiosity was triggered by Stuart`s post, and comparing it to my previous post.

WW

It looks as though the OP has left the building. There are now over one hundred posts in this thread and the OP only posted one followup comment (which was the 4th post). Out of curiosity I've returned to the thread just to see if there has been any update to the information. Without any updates this is all just speculation.

William,

I gather the client is more of the control freak you mention then the nice guy based on him making an ultimatum even though the prevailing wisdom is that the contract has been fulfilled on the photographers' part. Fleshing out the background may help guide how to respond although I will still reccommend letting this one time demand (unreasonable as I believe it is) be met for practical reasons and plugging the loophole in the future. I think the many posts illustrate the continuum of views on strict adherence to contracts in this case and in general and as to whether unedited (especially RAW) images should be closely held by the photographer. Seeing all this may help shape the reader's opinion in future events concerning these issues. I think the information you ask is useful but my sense is that the client's attitude and demeanor won't sway most people here very much. Maybe it will influence David decision.

I might e-mail him and ask if he will be willing to tell us what his decision is.

``I gather the client is more of the control freak you mention then the nice guy`` (JH)

That was my impression also, based upon the David`s post.

``I think the information you ask is useful but my sense is that the client's attitude and demeanor won't sway most people here very much`` (JH)

I agree. . .

On different slant on the topic, which might also add to the reason for my question: I work in Australia, we are far less (written) Contract Focussed in the W&P business here.

It seems our Consumer Laws and the workings of our Department(s) of Fair Trading make for fewer litigious dealings, in the general day to day activities of running a small business: perhaps also, there is a cultural difference.

Hence, I find these threads of personal interest, being an outsider, looking in.

Just mentioning again: I do not sell or give away Wedding Negs (or RAW files), but that is a decision based upon business modelling, not because it is written into any contract, per se.

Simply put: the Negatives and RAW files do not appear on the list of goods or services, offered for sale, from which the client chooses what they want to purchase.

WW

sounds like he's trying to simply get out of paying you if ya ask me.....

the last customer that asked for the RAW files was back in June, when I told him I shot Jpeg, he had a cow.. he totally freaked out. After explaining (at length) that a raw file isn't needed to print a 30x40..... he calmed down. but in your case, if he really wants em'... let him have it..

but they need to pay you first... send the disc COD

"My contract states that I will give them high resolution JPG images. This was a destination wedding, they came

to NYC so it was only the 3 of us for most of the day. They state along with the prints that are in the contract

they want all the RAW images and then will send the balance of the photography payment. "

I agree with other posts on the “send the CD COD”. They already have the photos and JPEGs and won't pay. That

should already throw up a flag. There is no guarantee they will pay after they have the RAW files. Unfortunately

some customers can be jerks.

There was a fellow I ran into at work who was bragging that he took the smaller proof 5x7 photos of his wedding

that the photographer loaned them so they could pick which shots they liked. He scanned them then gave the proofs

back and said they didn't like any of them and don't want the photos and will not pay. I told him that was a

scummy thing to do, that the photographer is trying to make a living. They basically stole the images. He looked

at me like I was from another planet. He felt no guilt and some how justified this in his head that the

photographer was stupid for letting him have the images. I got a good look at this persons ethics. Dealing with

the public you run into all types.

I don't know who the photographer is, but I hope they rethink how they handle their contract next time.

They wasted time and money on this job.

Cheers, Mark

simple answer - you said "My contract states that I will give them high resolution JPG images" - If they don't pay their final payment you take them to small claims court - If I did a good job on the shoot and delivered what I stated in my CONTRACT !! that's all they get. There's no good will - it's business - contract LAW !! I've been a wedding photographer since 1973 (and an infantry sergeant in the Americal before that). Professional photography is a business like any other and should be conducted as such.

NO they don't get the RAW files and none of you should be selling your RAW files, just like pro wedding photographers didn't sell their negatives before digital.

Ok. I replied to this above but I wanted to add something to this now that I have experienced a friend go through something very similar.

Do not give them the RAW images unless you are paid off. A friend of mine just recently shot a wedding and the customer wanted some RAW images before paying off the last of the wedding, she gave them to him via ftp and he still didn't pay.

Ok. I would just write a certified letter (the kind the mailman makes you sign for verification), within this letter put a copy of the original contract he signed and put a letter detailing your next actions. My friend did this and about a week and a half later he worked out a payment plan. You should, in your letter, detail that you will work with them to create a payment plan in installments if they are having trouble. If he refuses, and you go to court, you will win easily and in some cases collect on damages for his actions.

Now, this is extreme but honestly.... does a mechanic give his tools to some guy that wants to change his transmission. No, ok, maybe a good friend... but not a current customer. If he wants the raw images, give them to him... with a new contract and a price that reflects it.