Wedding pricing tips

seth_fisher1

First off, HELLO form Virginia! This is my first post here on photo.net. I'm looking forward to gleaning info

from you all!

I know there a hundreds of ways to price for weddings but I've tried several different methods...the last one I

just threw out was pre-priced packages. The only problem is that no two weddings are the same, so the brides kept

asking for pricing for individual things, extra hours, etc. So finally this is what I've come up with:

Through My Lens Photography

Wedding Pricing

Base Wedding - $725.00

2 hrs photography w/ assistant

Includes ceremony, receiving line, Post wedding, on-location formals, groups

Each additional hour (or part thereof) - $225.00

Includes digital manipulation. e.g., blemish removal, touch-up, object removal, B&W, Sepia tone, etc., at

photographer’s discretion

Private online proof gallery available for 90 days after wedding

Proof gallery 30 day extensions -$25.00

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pre-wedding

Includes photographs of the bride or groom, either with attendants, preparing for wedding, and wedding set-up. No

Boudoir.

Bride/Groom

$95.00/hour

If over 5 miles from wedding location, add mileage at $0.40/mile

Post Ceremony Off-location formals, groups - $65.00/half-hour + Mileage

Includes assistant

Rehearsal Dinner - $95.00

Includes 1 hour photography w/ assistant

Each additional half-hour at rehearsal dinner - $50.00

Reception - $225.00

Includes 1 hour photography w/ assistant

Candid’s, dance, cake, toasts, etc.

Each additional half-hour at reception - $50.00

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Custom Digital Manipulation

As requested by customer upon viewing proofs,

Each image - $15.00

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Travel Compensation

Free within 35 mile radius of Newport News, VA

$0.40/mile total mileage outside 35 mile radius

Out of state

$200.00/day/person

+1 night hotel

+Mileage @ $0.40/mile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CD with images - $600.00

For Prints see Print Price List

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DVD Slideshow w/o music - $150.00 - up to 100 images

Each additional image after 100 - $1.00

Background music (client supplies) - $15.00

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have visited other websites, compared pricing, and made my pricing what I thought was fair and competitive. The

only problem is that since I went with this pricing, out of the 5 people who've contacted me, all 5 have gone

somewhere else!

I'm a little discouraged! Am I priced too high?

Check out my website and see what you think...I'd love you're critique's and assistance!

http://www.throughmylensphotography.com/site/

Thanks,

Seth

Your prices are very fair and competitive.

However I would recommend that you choose price packages... it is very difficult for some clients to see the value of what they are purchasing (all your time and post production), but if you give them package prices the see so many prints, dvd to music...

I recently changed my price list from a-la-carte to packages and have seen a big difference.

Your pricing is very confusing. You say "base wedding" covers two hours, but then you say "Includes ceremony,

receiving line, Post wedding, on-location formals, groups". I don't understand - there is no way you can do all

that in two hours. The receiving line is usually done at the reception, and can take up to an hour or more

depending on the size of the wedding. So is that actually a base price plus extras? Because then you list things

like the reception and other events separately, under different pricing. Far far too much going on - you need to

simplify it. I don't understand it at all, and I'm sure potential clients are confused as well, and are going

elsewhere where they can pay, say $2000 and get everything.

As far as your website, as a potential client I'd like to see more wedding photos. The wedding photos seem a

little sparse, and there are only 3 weddings? Or is it 4? The website itself not the most professional looking

site I've seen - it's a little cluttered, and the layout could use some work.

It is also probably not a good idea to require your clients to use a calculator when looking at your pricing! It increases stress, and it makes it seem like you're "nickel-and-dime"ing them (charging for every little thing). It would probably be a better strategy to show them how much they get for your big, great package, and make them desire the great little goodies included. Another downside is the type of customer you might attract - someone who will stress out over whether or not to include a $25 service is probably not going to spend very much. You'll end up with people deciding not to include things, rather than adding on to a nice big package, and then when they get very little for their wedding, they'll hold it against you (even though it was their own choice). For example, they won't remember that they declined to add music to their slideshow for $15, they'll just remember that their slideshow isn't as nice as their cousin's. They won't remember that they only hired you for half an hour at the rehearsal dinner, just that you don't have any pictures of the awesome speech that made everyone cry 20 minutes after you left.

You would have lost me if I were trying to decide what the cost would be. People want to know what they are going to pay. They don't know

how many miles it is from a to b.

Make things simple. Do 3 packages. List your most expensive one first, and work your way down to your lowest price. You can let Brides

know that you can do a custom package for them if they need something other than what you have listed.

Another note- when I looked at your website I saw butterflies, landscape stuff. I would separate the weddings and do one site just for it.

Good luck with everything.

Rob

Not to be reduntant from what others have said, but it's far too confusing. Keep it simple- base price for the minimum amount of time you would want to to book a Saturday and make it worth it (four to six hours) and basic things to include like your retouching. Make everything else a-la-carte. Additional amount for over 50 miles from your home, additional amount for extra time, additional amount for an engagement session, etc.

I'm an amateur photographer hoping to be getting in the wedding business myself, and also a bride-to-be. When I started reading your pricing, I was thinking, okay this isn't bad. Then it kept going, and going and going. Finally I decided I didnt want to take the time to read all of what you had listed, even without a calculator it seemed like I would be charged a ton for all the important moments I wanted to remember. (Even if you are less than the other photographers).

Keep in mind that brides have a million other things going on in their heads, and the more the bride gets stressed, the more her parents, and groom to be are stressed.

Like the others said, keeping to packages and creating add ons or perhaps trying to customize a package takes a lot of stress off of the bride's shoulders. Packaging is easier to read and figure out, and to get a general idea of how much to budget for and what the bride will be expected to pose for.

When I used to work at a print shop, some local photographers had created a checklist of sorts. For example one column had the main event- the ceremony- and the important pictures the brides wanted (ie, the kiss, ring exchange, candle lighting etc). Then under the next column was the reception (dancing, cake cutting, guests, receiving line), and under the next was pre wedding. The photographer had a general idea of what the bride would want, and could create pricing from there. But only being the printer of his price lists- i dont know how successful these turned out to be.

Sorry, Way too complicated.

A wedding is an emotional event and you are going to sell in direct proportion to your ability to tap into that emotion.

Let them see no more than 4 packages. Create the mood and sell into it.

You do not want them to shift gears from the emotion of the wedding to using their head to understand your pricing.

• 3 weeks later...