D90 or D200

bschmitz

The D90 essentially reuses the D80's body with some minor modifications such as the GPS input port. The two even share the same AF module (Multi-CAM 1000) and battery pack/vertical grip the MB-D80.

The D90's sensor is a variation of the D300's, which can do 8 frames/second. Therefore, most of the D90 has already been checked out in previous DSLRs except for the new video feature. I'd say the risks are small for getting an early D90 body. You want to make sure that Nikon has fixed the exposure issues previously in the D80.

Your only lens that cannot meter on the D90 is the Kiron. That is probably not important for macro work as you can always check the histogram and adjust exposure.

If you indeed shoot a lot of landscape, I am a bit surprised that you don't have a true wide-angle lens, though.

You need to handle both cameras to decide. The D90 will be smaller than the D90. The D200 has more accessible features as switches, buttons and knobs. The D90 will require you to use more menus. This is a very big differentiation between cameras. It's like using a consumer vs pro video camera. They might have the same sensor, but getting to the image control quickly is a differentiating factor. Being able to change things on the fly with my D200 netted me many more shots than with a D70. The same will be with the D90.

If you're not under pressure to purchase, wait. Handle the D300/200/90/80 in the store, hold them for a long time, see how long it takes you to change shutter, focus, iso, and such. How much info is shown in the D90 viewfinder. These subleties are not lost on you after lots of use. You won't initially notice, but you will if you regularly shoot.

Lets be real here. The question that needs to be asked is, "How big of a print do you want?" If you're not doing large prints (> 11 x 14) you won't see any difference. I see too many people spending thousands of dollars on DSLR's and never printing anything bigger than an 8 x 10. Examine your needs truthfully. On the other hand, some people want the latest and greatest DLSR for MySapce pics and or 4 x 6 prints.

The 11 x 14 prints from my Nikon FM3A (2002 35 mm) are just as good as those from my Nikon D60.

Just a thought.

-Joe