getting good action shots - day or night

staci_dougherty

I've been told I need to get a wide angle lens. There seems to be many to choose from so I need some help. I have

a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 digital camera. I have two boys who play sports - football, basketball and baseball. I'd like

some tips on what lens to get that will help get those good action shots indoor/outdoor - night or day.

Thanks!

I do not think you can do what you seek.

I believe the Panasonic DMC-FZ8 is a ``fixed lens`` camera. That is, the lens on your Panasonic does not remove from the camera, like an SLR, which (mostly always) has ``interchangeable lenses`` .

You might be able to buy a wide angle ``lens`` (which looks like a filter) which screws onto or clips onto the end of the lens of your Panasonic, to give a wider view. If available, it would most likely be a specific Panasonic part to fit that camera.

Taking sports shots of your boys (especially inside) will be easier with a DSLR (Digital SLR), than with the Panasonic DMC-FZ8, IMO.

And I do not necessarily think getting a wide angle lens is the answer, either.

Perhaps have a read of this:

http://www.photo.net/learn/sports/overview

You do not need really expensive lenses and cameras for every situation, to get pleasing results, as for example, shooting Basket Ball inside a gym, a Canon 400D and a EF50mmF1.8MkII would be very appropriate.

It is on the football field, and the like, where longer lenses are usually required and fast lenses are really required when shooting at night.

WW

If your shooting outdoors both football and baseball you will definitely need a telephoto lens. Starting with a

200mm f2.8 at the very least should work well. The setup Ken and William wrote is a great start for indoors if

you can get under the basket for shots. For most of my indoor basket ball shots I use a 105mm f2.8 which allows

me a little more reach on the court.

Staci, You need fast glass for indoor and evening outdoor sports,and for football you need some extra zoom. A new DSLR will allow you to use higher ISO to get faster shutter speeds. If money is no big deal Nikon and Canon have DSLR's that will give you good quality shots at higher ISO settings. Both brands have the 70-200/2.8 zoom that will work great for both basketball and football (if you can get close to or on the sidelines). For shooting football in the stands you will need a 300/2.8 lens or bigger (this is when the lenses start to get really expensive). I have a friend who uses a Sigma 70-200 for football and basketball and takes great pictures. First to let you know this will be expensive, but if you want the pictures a DSLR that can take quality high ISO shots and a fast 70-200 zoom will require some serious cash. The way I look at it on my end is that other hobbies I have had required the same dollars so you need to make the choice. Here is a picture I took last week of my daughter setting the volleyball in a small gym using the Nikon D50 with a 50/1.8 prime.<div>00QptM-70777584.JPG.f26d42963f77b4de658a61dddbf0cacd.JPG</div>

You definitely need a DSLR. I often shoot indoor basketball with inexpensive 50mm and 85mm lenses. That's all you really need if you stand at the baseline and capture action with 20 feet of the boards (I actually kneel at the baseline). But you need to realize that the lighting in most gyms is awful. That's why I use flash that's mounted up on the ceiling and triggered with Pocket Wizards. Alternatively you could crank up the ISO, but you'll get noise.

Here's a shot taken with flash:

http://www.photo.net/photo/7434439

Staci, Roberts use of overhead flash is a great idea, but do not use flash on the camera since it is pointed directly at the athlete and will cause a distraction for the athletes. I haven't seen anyone told not to use onboard flash at games, but my daughter doesn't care for the distraction.

Well, I have a Panasonif FZ7, and it works fine outdoors in sunny days... But forget about it at night, dawn or cloudy days.

If you can't rent or buy a DSRL, and you need to go ahead with your Panasonic, you have to consider that the glass extensions are not cheap, over 200 $, and they'll work fine in good light conditions... I don't know if they could be a good investment.

Some tips using your FZ8:

- Use a monopod.

- Don't use digital zoom.

- Get a good location, near the action.

- Try tu use it in P, A, S or M mode... No automatic (scene) modes.