Sunpak TR-PAK II, Sunpak Flash and Ebay Triggers

wil_ussery

I am having a problem with getting the Sunpak TR-PAK II to wirelessly trigger my flash when I don't have regular

batteries within the battery housing of the flash.

Equipment:

Pentax K10D

Ebay RD617 Reciever connected to Sunpak Auto 444D

Ebay Wireless Transmitter on Camera Hotshoe

Sunpak TR-PAK II connected to the Sunpak Flash via side mounted cable

I can manually trip the Sunpak Flash using the Test Trigger button on the Flash when the TR-PAK II is the only

source of power.

I can manually trip the Sunpak Flash using the Test Trigger button on the Flash when there are four alkaline batteries

as the only source of power.

I can get the flash to be triggered when I press the Test button on the Ebay Wireless Transmitter when there are four

batteries as the only source of power.

I can get the flash to be triggered when I press the Test button on the Ebay Wireless Transmitter when there are four

batteries loaded in the Flash AND if I have the Sunpak TR-PAK II connected to flash and the Power switch in the AC

position on the Flash.

However, If I remove the four batteries from the flash and ONLY use the TR-PAK II as the power source, then the

wireless option does not work. Any ideas what may be causing this problem?

Most, but not all, modern flashes require that you have internal AAs installed even when you use an external pack. This is supposedly to run the LED lights and other things on the flash (what, exactly, I am not sure but particularly if the flash is TTL capable). Consult your flash manual. It should say whether the AA internals are needed or not, but in any case, it isn't necessarily a 'problem'. Just keep some alkalines or rechargeables in the flash, even when running the external pack.

Nadine, I don't care about TTL as I am trying to use Manual settings for the Flash. That will be my next challenge to see, if I can dial up or dial down the amount of light coming from the flash using the Manual settings on the Flash. I bought these TR-PAK's used without manuals so, I'm winging it.

PS: I also have two Sunpak 510 Batteries and those instructions don't tell you what to do with the internal batteries within the flash.