Nikon D50 - line across all my photos

ru55el.com

Hi everyone

I bought a refurbished D50 through Adorama a few months back. Just took delivery of it as my girlfriend went to

the US to visit her brother and brought it back to Israel with her.

Took a bunch of shots and noticed in the preview screen that some of them had a line bisecting the image. Odd...

let's see if it's still there when I upload them. Sure enough.

Anyone have an idea what this is and how to fix it? Will Adorama/Nikon cover this?

Here's an example: http://www.photo.net/photo/7763715

Thanks

Russ

Thanks for your replies everyone. According to Adorama's FAQ their warranty is 90 days (USA-only), so I do not think I am covered. Pf

Sheldon, I'll try your suggestion, so far nothing, it didn't show on all the previous images so will keep on shooting throughout the day and see what comes up.

If not I will contact the Nikon dealer in Israel and see what they can do. I hope a new sensor won't be too expensive.Anyone know what they go for?

Are you saying the problem has corrected itself?

"Forget about Nikon covering it"

Nikon offers exceptional customer service and will likely help you out in some way. They have repaired out of warranty products for me without charge in the past. Call them (visit www.nikon.com for contact information.

Hi Elliot. No, the problem hasn't corrected itself; as far as I know. I've taken maybe 100 shots since I got the camera and it appeared on a dozen images.

I will contact the Local Nikon dealer tomorrow.

Constantinos, thanks for the suggestion. I will try that if all else fails.

Russel, contact Nikon direct, not a local dealer.

Nikon has tech support 24/7, here in the US anyway. You can set up an account for tech support online at Nikon's website and they will get back to you online. You will be able to upload a sample to them.

I am not positive but I believe Nikon can easily fix your problem for you and they will probably do it at no cost. It is likely an easy fix correctable through software unless the sensor is defective (which is doubtful).

Just to add to this, I have a D50 and it is useless over ISO 800 as I get large horizontal bars in the image. It bugged me enough to make the order for a D300 but I would like to get my trusty D50 operating again. I don't think it is a hardware issue as much as a software as it only shows up in higher ISO.... My $.02

Oh, one last thought... preform the mirror lock up procedure and carefully look at the surface of the sensor to see if there is some debris on the IR filter.