Clever DIY hacks for Nikon flash

lex_jenkins

While browsing Flickr (yeh, yeh, I know, guilty pleasures) I found a set of photos of some clever hacks and

do-it-yourself modifications, including this scheme for modifying the AS-19 accessory shoe to accept a sync port

for off camera triggering of the SB-600:

AS-19 sync port mod

Be sure to visit the other hacks and mods:

DIY and hacks

Yup, that's a far more elegant solution than my own. I made one using an old Wollensack enlarger lens, a T-mount adapter and the black plastic bag from a box of darkroom printing paper. The rig was not self supporting so it was necessary to mount the camera on a tripod and handhold the lens, moving it around as needed to adjust focus and movements. It's not really comparable to the original Lensbaby because an enlarging lens is much sharper, but it does allow for the selective focus effects. The Flickr link shows a much handier solution.

My only concern about using the boot from an automobile suspension would be possible off-gassing eventually fogging the lens and camera sensor, mirror and focus screen. I'd be more comfortable with using that flexible boot if it was used only briefly and immediately removed when not in use.

The addition of a sync port to the Nikon AS-19 flash stand is a brilliant idea. However, Nikon wants you to go wireless with the CLS system. Other automatic flash features will be lost using that modified device. The device has purpose for special use by experienced flash users, especially in studio environment, with a flash meter ready for action.

Lex; The silicone rubber used in these parts is pretty stable. Otherwise it would degrade from being exposed to engine heat, road salt, and various petroleum products kicked up from the road and leaked from the engine. Specifically this looks like a rack and pinion/inner tie rod boot which needs to stand up to hydraulic fluid that seeps from the power steering system.

I don't doubt that it's stable, but silicone can off-gas some bad pookey. I've seen silicone caulking damage some materials.

It's a clever idea and would probably be safe enough for short term use. But I'd detach the lens from the boot between uses and wouldn't leave the rig mounted on the camera.

An electronic flash is a high voltage device, if I correctly recall. Aren't these DIY hacks kind of dangerous? Even a small current, high voltage shock is no laughing matter. I've been hit by "just" 240v, and believe me, it felt like I was kicked by a mule and just escaped a heart attack.

Correct me somebody, if I'm wrong...

Mani, the flash safety issue has been discussed repeatedly on the Nikon forum. The fellow who put together that Flickr presentation also includes the usual weasel words. Let's not get off an a tangent. The purpose of this thread was just to share information that might be of interest to folks who are interested in DIY projects and aware of the risks.