Normal for Canon L lens to get discoloured over time?

rafiq_sarlie

I recently purchased a second hand 20-700mm 2.8 IS L lens from reputable photo shop and as far as I can tell the

only problem with it is that the lens coating is no longer white but is now a creamish kinda colour and looks out

of place next to the new bodies.

According to the number on the lens it was made in 2005 which seems like a short time to change it's colour so

much. Is this normal or do you think the previous owner left it out in the sun or something for too long?

The "white" on the Canon's "white lenses" was never really "white", but either "warm-ish yellow-ish white-ish" or "cold-

ish gray-ish white-ish" shade of white. So your lens has most likely been like this since leaving the factory.

Lens coating refers to the transparent materials on the lens elements. We normally refer to the surface "coating" on the

lens barrel as paint or finish. New it appears to be off-white. Perhaps the prior owner smoked while shooting. Have you tried

cleaning it?

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<i>Lens coating normally look blue or green or purple by reflection because reflection of other wavelengths (colors) of

light is more effectively supressed.</i>

<br>

He means the metal case ;)

<br><br>

It should be the same as it was on the day you purchased it. Maybe it's just dirty (I guess it's not likely but... try

using ethanol to clean it).

<p><em>"l have the 100-400L & the 70-200 f4L. They are each different colours."</em></p>

<p>That is what I was hoping to hear. In the store I had it side by side with another L lens that was a bit

lighter in colour.</p>

<p><em>"This is photo.net Rafiq, get it? Post a photo (color corrected of course) your new lens. Remember -- 700

pixels on less on its long axis your image post here. Max filesize is what... 150KB?"</em></p>

<p>I think if I had two different coloured L lenses at home it would've been clear in the photo. Unfortunately I

only have one and don't know if I could get the colour correction right.</p>

<p>Thanks again for all the feedback.</p>