Is my Ifosol shot?

I've traditionally used kodak products. I switched to Ilford DDX 4 years ago with no problems.

Recently I couldn't get any DDX so the store suggested I try Ilfoso-S which I've never used before.

I processed a roll of 120 Delta 100 which came out so/so. It was thin with a heavier than normal mask.

I also processed a roll of Tmax (at the specified time) which came out horrible, too thin to print, mask appears

to be chemical burned, wavy patterns all over negative.

I noticed that while the DDX comes out of the bottle clear, the Ilfosol came out yellow, more the color of stop bath.

So, my question is, is this color normal for Ilfosol? Or did the store sell me a spoiled old bottle.

Thanks,

The problem with Ilfosol is that it suffers from sudden death without indicating. The colour is not a reliable sign. Stick to Ilfords storage recommendations. If you like the results (Ilfosol is an accutance developer, i.e. larger grain but sharp negs) you might want to try Rodinal 1+50; similar if not better results, cheaper and lasts forever.

Stefan

...as to the colour, I've used Ilfosol once and mine was yellow too, so that's normal. Although a lot of people relate stories of it dying off quickly mine actually lasted a good while, from memory I stretched it beyond it's recommended shelf life and was still getting good results with the last roll I put through it. Just luck perhaps =D

I even used Ilfosol S when it was brown with no ill effects. After using a whole bunch of bottles I never had a bottle that suddenly died so I don't know whether it's so common or not. Besides, what does it matter?? Ilfosol S is replaced now by Ilfosol 3 which is an improved version of Ilfosol S.

• 2 weeks later...

ive used ifosol a couple of times with various films, tmax, pan f, neopan and found it an extremely poor

devolper, grainy and gray now matter how changed temp time etc, for some strange reason someone told me it was a

grat dev so i stubbonaly persisted in trying to get a result, my results were very average at best.no i avaiod it

like the pluage.