Shots with the Photina Reflex

Finally this is the page from the Wallace Heaton catalogue of 1956/6, showing the price of the camera with Westar lenses as £20.19.9, with the ever ready case (which I have) at £3.3.9. The Cassar lens version was more expensive.I guess the average take home wage in those days was around £10 to £20 a week.<div>00QeRQ-67431784.thumb.jpg.01385f8a7b000edddf599a1bbc8b8412.jpg</div>

I like these! Well composed warmly lit images. I have never heard anyone extolling the virtues of the Photina TLR before but based on these results I'm quite surprised not to have done. I would guess the exposures were made stopped down around f8 or more.<br>.

I have done some digging around on the brand name. The Photavit cameras were made by Photavit-Werk of Nurnberg. The same camera also appeared in the USA as the Sears Tower Reflex and in Germany as the Obergassner Oga-Reflex. <br>

I too have a range of Wallace Heaton catalogues ranging from the early 1950s to 1970. They make fascinating reading for the collector and historian and are are wonderful source of the minute details of lesser know models as well as contemporary prices. I wouldn't be without them.<br>

Thanks for an enjoyable post.<br>

Steve

The square format, smooth tones and waist level perspective are all wonderfully refreshing to me, taking me back to the

seventies and a number of my Yashica TLRs now probably wasting away in other people's closets while I quest for the

Holy Grail of such rich and smooth-toned images from my digital camera.

I have never heard of this camera, but

it sure is a good one!

The pictures are excellent- at least, they would be more than acceptable

to me - in terms of rendition and contrast.

I think your compositions were very well done too.

What surprises me is that such a older - respectfully-

less well known camera such as this can give great pics.

John,

Let me also say; really fine images. I know this model too! I have one and I was surprised how little "penetration"

the model had in recognition. I did find most of the info given here with exception of the catolog pages which were

indeed intersting. I think the composition and execution here are excellent! When I received mine(2001?), the

focusing screen broke in transit and I have yet to properly repair it. Co-incidentally I just received a replacement

screen from Rick Oleson! So Stand by. As Mr Chin mentioned it's not the camera, so I doubt if I will do as well. Mine

has the Cassa lens.and focus is a bit stiff. The ready case is torn along the edge but is good for storing the camera!

These are truly beautiful shots with your Photina, they remind me that I may have kept mine ten years ago. I have always

been surprised by the quality of the images (mine had a Cassar lens). Sadly I had problems with the shutter and the

focussing mechanism. I found also the focussing screen comparingly usable. Wonderful light-weight (and cheap at that

time) TLR, whish I had it back...<div>00QgpW-68269584.jpg.00e106beacd46358bb7de9c751a15430.jpg</div>

John,

These pictures are impressive, so the camera.

That kind of suitcases transports me to other times. I keep a similar one full up of old photographs.

I enjoy the office picture and the detailed typewriter one.

I wonder what is writhed on the old man fingers. Sure you’ll can see it, even if it is shot on a 800 ASA film.

Regards.

Thanks to all for the various comments & contributions, I'm sorry I've been busy and didn't get around to returning to the thread sooner.

To answer Luis's question here is a crop of the original scan of the Old Chap. You should be able to see what is written on his hand. It is LOVE.<div>00Qgsj-68303584.jpg.74456893d259d8e8a85e46f98128d840.jpg</div>