Arizona and S. Utah In September 2008

rscott

I'm going to be traveling to Vegas on (Wed) Sept. 10 and I'm headed straight to Page, AZ. I'll have about 5-6

days. I primarily want to do wide angle landscape photography with my Nikon D700(what a camera). I 'd like to

see the slots. Then maybe a few places around Page. Then I'm headed for Zion but I 1st want to stop at stop at

Coral Pink Sand Dunes. I'm not going to Bryce because in past trips I've over extended myself. I have gotten a

lot of info from photo. net. I'm wondering if they're are any other places on the way from Page to Zion in Utah

worth checking out. I really don't want to go to the Wave for I hear you can get lost. I've also been told to

keep one eye peeled for rattlesnakes.

Thanks,

Scott

Good thinking to avoid Bryce. But why even go to those other places that are crowded and way over photographed? There are much better options, especially if you can afford a few more days. Take super scenic route 12 NE thru Escalante and go hiking in Capital Reef. If you have time, hike to Calf Creek Falls in Escalante on the way. If you have more time, continue on to Hanksville and take Route 95 south across Glen Canyon. There's a fabulous overlook before you come to the canyon. If you continue down Route 261 to the Moki Dugway, you get a view out across Monument Valley. And don't miss the Goosenecks of the San Juan. You can see an overview of this area here. (Check out his other Utah pages too.)

http://www.so-utah.com/souteast/powerdrv/homepage.html

I've done that trip 4 times now and will be making it again in October. While in Page look into visiting Antelope

Canyon. I went with Overland Tours. It costs only about $26. Some of the best shots of my life. Between Page and

Zion you can visit the less visited North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Aside from Antelope Canyon, I think the big prize

awaits in Zion. You can't go wrong there. Make sure and take the Angels Landing trail....assuming heights don't

freak you out. It's amazing! Have fun.

In Page: Horseshoe Bend, Antelope Canyon, Glen Canyon Dam, Lake Powell along with boat rides to the Rainbow Bridge. Antelope Canyon was literally jammed with people wall to wall but I don't mind. In 30 years I have gotten really good at ignoring people. Bryce may be crowded but it's crowded because it's beautiful. Here's a tip. Start at 6am. You can watch the sun rise, it's cooler, and the 3 people you meet will be very friendly. Around 10am all the families will show up and it get crowded but all you have to do is walk down a trail and the number of people drops 1000%.

Other things around Page are driving US89 near Vermilion Cliffs Nat Mon. My favorite is Cottonwood Canyon Rd through Grand Staircase Escalante Nat Mon.

I'm not sure if I understand your itinerary perfectly, but ~30 miles north of Las Vegas on I-15 there is an exit for Valley of Fire State Park. I've been there twice and there aren't many people around, if that matters. The actual park is another 10 miles or so along the highway from the Interstate, and then some driving within the park.

There's a $6 fee, and some interesting rock formations.<div>00Qglh-68247584.jpg.a95495e0b89b61bdac327183891ecf23.jpg</div>

If you head out of Page towards the north rim of the Grand Canyon there are the Vermillion Cliffs. With the right light they can be pretty specatcular for land scape photos. Of course all the other places mentioned. Been there oh my... 3 times now?<div>00Qgt6-68307684.jpg.a0e2578e303796d21f569436a0397117.jpg</div>

And Lake Powell. I might warn you that the boat rental and marine fuel to use it is PRICEY. I know it was pricey in 2003 when I did this BEFORE fuel went thru the ceiling (my travelling companion had little money and I paid.. still have the contract for the boat somewhere in a box). You do have to make reservations for the boat.

The moral to this story is to have a travelling companion capable of paying a full 1/2 on every trip! Still glad for the experience.<div>00QgtD-68309784.jpg.e5af298327aeda07e04ac017b100c101.jpg</div>

Concerning the Coral Pink Sand Dunes, I first visited in the late 90s and it was very cool with lodgepole pines growing in the edge of the dune field. The dunes looked good since the southern section was restricted to foot traffic. Dune buggies roamed the northern section. I revisited last October and now the dune buggies appear to have free reign over the entire complex and as a result the dunes in the south section are now completely marked up with tire tracks. I was disappointed. You might consider adding that couple of hours to Zion.

John