Remote setup for event photography - Advice Needed

dmitriy_babichenko

I have a pretty high profile (not to mention a high-paying) bar mitzvah coming up in two weeks. I was originally

planning on bringing an assistant to man the second camera. The synagogue has two columns that are partially

blocking the view in from the back of the sanctuary. I was planning on having an assistant shoot from the back

of the synagogue with a 70-200 lens and I would be stationed to the side with a wide-angle. Yesterday the

synagogue informed me that they changed their rules and will only allow one photographer, stationed at the back

of the sanctuary. From that location I would not be able to get any decent shots - I really need a second camera

to the side. They told me that I can have a second camera on a tripod, but only if it is unmanned. I can

trigger the second camera remotely using PocketWizard or set it on a timer to take a photo every 30 seconds or

so. However, with that setup I would not be able to control any settings and pretty much rely on full auto.

That makes me uncomfortable. Is there any way to control the camera remotely (wirelessly) from my laptop so I

could change the settings and see what I am actually photographing? It has to be wireless because I would not be

allowed to run a cable that long through the sanctuary. I have a MacBook for my laptop and Canon 40D and Canon

5D for my cameras.

Thank you

I am not sure about those cameras but with a 1D or 1Ds series camera that should be possible with Canon's software and wireless transmitter set up to control the camera remotely.

But, unless there is a lot of natural light coming in your exposure is goig nt obe pretty much stable so either aperture or manual exposure mode should work for you. and you could also lock down your focus for the celebrant and Rabbi's position at the Bimah.

From experience using Pocket Wizard MultiMAX units to trigger remote cameras at these sorts of events I would not use the intervalometer feature - either use the transmitter in your primary camera's hot shoe to fire the remote camera when you shoot with your primary camera or trigger it manually. The problem with the intervalometer method is that you won't be able to choose l when it fires coordinated with the action. I would definitely go to the rehearsal to try your system and location out before committing. Don't forget that you'll need the special Pocketwizard motordrive cable that keeps your camera awake between shots.

Ellis,

There is a lot of natural light in the synagogue - there is a large skylight right above the bimah, which is why I am hesitant to preset the camera. I am definitely planning on trying whatever setup I come up with at the rehearsal, but I would feel better if I could control the settings on the camera wirelessly.

I think you need to go to the synagogue and inform them what that rule is going to do to the photography. I am sure they will understand what you are saying and how the rule change will hurt "Their" customers. Also tell the parents about the rule change and your second shooter solution. Show them that you are a professional photographer by giving your professional photography opinion about what is going on.

Alas, I am a Nikon guy, and not a Canon guy. But I suspect there's an analogy, here.

Nikon makes a piece of software called Camera Control Pro. It allows you to shoot tethered from the USB port on the camera, and to influence exposure settings, timing, etc. Obviously, no "live view," per se. Shoot, see what you get, carry on.

On a lark, I tried hooking up a modest laptop to my D200, and used the software. Worked great. Then, in the spirit of adventure, I set up a simple ad hoc WiFi network (peer to peer, between two laptops) and used the native Windows TS/RDP remote control ability to get myself a remote view of what the laptop was doing while it talked to the camarea. With only split-second latency, I was able to use a second computer from almost 100' feet away (limited only by WiFi range) to remotely operate the camera via a remote desktop on the laptop. Quite cool, if I do say so myself.

I suspect there's a Canon analog to that Nikon software, but I don't have the Canon-ness to know what it is. Someone else will chime in.

All that being said, you have to be something of an IT nerd to make a rig like that really fly. The PW solution is going to be more reliable, though without any visual confirmation of what's going on. The social solution (talking the people holding the event into allowing you discreet, no-flash access to the front of the room) is certainly the best bet. Good luck!

"There is a lot of natural light in the synagogue - there is a large skylight right above the bimah, which is why I am hesitant to preset the camera"

Then I would set the camera to Aperture Priority and Auto White Balance and shoot cr2 (raw) files.

"I would feel better if I could control the settings on the camera wirelessly."

Understood, but then you'll be distracted by going back and forth from your main camera to your remote.

You can find very inexpensive wireless video trans-cievers that will take the video output from the jack on the camera and wirelessly transmit it to a reciever, which could be connected to a small LCD monitor, so you could at least see the video output from the camera. You'd at least be able to see what the last shot looked like. Or, you could use a simple webcam mounted on top of the camera, wirelessly transmitted to your receiver/monitor. Just a thought.

It's not really that hard to set up 2 wireless laptops like Matt said, assuming they allow you to have a laptop close to your remote camera. Get a wireless router, setup your own home / office network at the synagogue, connect both to the same wireless network, and mstsc from one laptop into the second and you can control your camera from there (assume you run Windows). I have played with this idea at home with the Canon software, but have yet to have a need for it at a wedding.

The latency can be greatly reduced to virtually zero if you use a N draft router and bring down your resolution in the mstsc option.

I've never shot a bar mitzvah but from my friends who do my understanding was that the photography was almost always done the day ahead of the actual religious ceremony. I know this varies from Orthodox to Conservative to Reform, etc., but the rabbis would allow all the photography you want and were willing to participate provided that you did it some time other than during the actual ceremony. And that conversely they were very strict that there be no photography at all during the actual ceremony. I would see if shooting ahead of time is an option. The reception afterward of course is the same as a wedding reception.

Craig,

The formal/family photographs would be done prior to the service, but the family wants the service captured as well. This is a reform synagogue, so they do allow photography on Saturday during service, provided that I follow the rules stated in my original post. I think I am going to follow Ellis' advice - set the camera on Apeture priority and use my PocketWizard to trigger it remotely. This would probably be the simplest solution, especially since I don't think that the synagogue would allow me to run a 50-foot USB cable (I don't know if they even make those) or setup wireless routers and webcams. I was hoping that there was an out-of-the-box wireless solution, but since there isn't one, I'll just have to make it happen with the gear that I already own.

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions.