Nikon D90 and 18-105mm/f3.5-5.6 AF-S VR DX Announced

ShunCheung

Thom Hogan stole the thunder a few weeks ago, but they are now official:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25446/D90.html

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Camera-Lenses/2179/AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-18-105mm-f/3.5-5.6G-ED-VR.html

(1) The D90 has an in-body AF motor so that it can drive non-AF-S AF-D type lenses to AF.

(2) Uses EN-EL3e batteries and the optional MB-D80 battery pack/grip (same as the D80's)

(3) Can only meter with lenses with a built-in CPU

(4) Uses Multi-CAM 1000 AF module, 11 AF points, same as D200 and D80

(5) Nikon introduces a GPS unit called the GP-1 that can be used on the D90 as well as the D3, D300, D700, D2, etc.

(6) The D90's video mode, etc. have already been discussed during the leak.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping for newer AF module and 1/250 sync. Happy it uses D80 battery, happy it has D300 sensor and metering. The movie mode and live view don't excite me any. No surprises I guess. I'll see how the reviews shake out, but will likely end up getting one. After a few months when price drops of course. I'm not stupid.

Kent in SD

For what's worth, I am keen on finding out more about the GP-1. Is it like the DawnTech and RedHen systems, where the GPS coordinates are slapped into the NEF when it is written into the CF? How much power does it suck up --- is it as little as the RedHen system or is it a power drainer like DawnTech?

Ken, you might be surprised by how useful LV is. I was a doubter until I played with it on the D300.

As for movie mode, I was thinking of getting a P&S for the wife to do just that. Now I have an excuse to get a backup to the D300!

For those on the fence between the D90 or the D300, I can say that the ability to meter non-CPU lenses alone is worth the difference in price - to me. Not to mention other killer features such as 51 point AF and MLU (in two modes).

Nikon only puts the 10-pin connector on its prosumer and pro SLRs. Therefore, the F5 and F100 have it. Among DSLRs, only the D1, D2 and D3 families as well as D200 and D300 have it.

Apparently the new GPS unit GP-1 uses a special connector on the D90. To use it with the 10-pin connector, you need to add an adapter.

Imaging-resource website mentions price of body only as $999

If this is not an error, this is really surprising. Givne that Canon's similar 50D is priced at $1399, I would expect nikon to be atleast about 1300-1400 range.

My (little) disappointment is, it is not offering in-camera CA correction, which is nice feature of D300. I have seen the demonstration of this feature on some web sites and it is very impressive.

Other than that the camera looks pretty cool.

Sounds to me like certain photographers were expecting the D90 to be a 'mini D300' rather than a new and improved

D80. Regardless, the D90 is an exceptional value is will make many, many photographers very, very happy. But if

you need the features of the D300, you will still need to invest in a D300.

Suhas, the 50D is competing with the D300, not the D90, feature wise. Except for its disappointing 9 point

focus system, it looks to be a great camera (at least on paper). I doubt any Nikon users are going to buy it

though. What would be the point?

I wonder why they would introduce a model with video, but no autofocus in video mode and no metering (and

presumably no video) with manual focus lenses. How exactly is one supposed to use this feature? It feels that

Nikon rushed to bring out a new feature without thinking it through. Adding full support of manual focus lenses

would make it easier to use. I suppose chipping is again going to be a hot service.