Nikon FA P Metering question

laurent1

Hello,

How precise does the Nikon FA P metering work, in particular in the way it sets the aperture of the lens ?

The speed is fixed (125, 250,...), resp. set by the computer, but what about the aperture ? Is it set continuesly

or by 1/3 step or 1/2 or unit by unit ?

Thanks for your response.

Laurent

To confirm what Dieter noted, both the shutter speed and aperture are set steplessly. The aperture mechanism on Nikkor lenses is continuously variable, and does not need to be set in discrete steps (the same applies to A and M exposure modes). So if the AMP metering calls for an exposure of 1/176 at f/5.8, then that is what the FA sets. However, I suspect one variable is set to a discrete full stop value, so you're more likely to either get 1/176 at f/5.6 or 1/125 at f/6.3 in P mode.

It has been awhile since I owned the FA, but AFAIK, only the shutter speed is displayed in P mode, and it is displayed to the nearest full stop. There is no display of the actual aperture used in P mode (the ADR window is also "blacked out" if P mode is selected). The LCD of the FA is limited to displaying one value only - aperture in S mode (there is a mechanical viewfinder display of the shutter speed set) and shutter speed in P mode or A mode (the aperture is read through the ADR window). It is a far less sophisticated display than modern bodies.<div>00QdYm-67153684.jpg.d99925517f76ea3ed1cd87b02b70dde2.jpg</div>

THank you for your response.

The FA is the cheapest alternative to have a matrix metering with AIS lenses. Beside this camera, only the F4, F5 et F6 are doing this job. I am very impressed by the good results I get with the FA, desipte its age. In high contrast situation, it gaves me excellent results.

THanks and keep on shooting.

Laurent