Canon EOS 50D : It's officially official

suhaskulkarni

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos50d/index.html

As expected, 50D is announaced.

Also there at RG's site (if you dont have any issue clicking on RG site)

Interesting things are - 50D performing better at higher ISO settings than the 40D, despite the new camera's

smaller pixels (4.7µm for the 50D vs 5.7µm for the 40D).

Purchasers of the 50D can expect noise levels to be roughly 1 to 1.5 stops better in the high ISO range. For

example, this means that a photo shot at ISO 3200 on the 50D is expected to have similar noise characteristics to

one shot in the ISO 1100-1600 range on the 40D.

Three increments of Auto Lighting Optimizer: Low, Normal, Strong

A vignette control (Canon is calling this "Peripheral Illumination Correction") that adjusts the amount of edge

and corner brightening it applies to in-camera JPEGs based on the Canon lens attached. Canon has profiled the

vignette characteristics of 82 lenses past and present (of about 125 Canon EF and EF-S lenses developed to date);

the camera can store up to 40 such profiles, and the camera will come already loaded with 26

Interesting is price - $1399!

Its very competative pricing I can say for such camera...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found this at:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E50D/E50DA.HTM

Starting with the new image sensor, the Canon 50D's 15.1-megapixel CMOS design raises the resolution significantly from the Canon 40D's 10.1 megapixels. As we've seen with other recent resolution increases in Canon SLR sensors though, a few changes have been made to the sensor design to keep noise low. First, the light-sensitive area of each photosite has been increased in size through more efficient cell design. Second, there are also now no gaps between the microlenses that sit over each 4.7µm photosite; Canon calls them "gapless" microlenses.

Couple this with Canon's new DIGIC IV image processor, which offers improvements in noise reduction, and we're told that noise levels from the EOS 50D's images should actually be noticably reduced compared to the same ISO sensitivity setting from the EOS 40D. If our testing bears this out, it'll be quite the achievement given the large jump in resolution.

A measure of Canon's confidence in the claim can be seen in the range of ISO sensitivities offered on the Canon 50D.

"gapless" microlenses... I liked that!

When some people say "Limitation of physics" for cramping so many megapixels in such small sensor, I always think that the limitation of physics will be overcome somehow by innovation...

Today's limitation of physics = tomorrow's innovation!

I remembered in my childhood days, I asked a question to a news paper science column on "Why can't we view multiple stations on TV just like we can hear multiple stations on our radio". And the expert gave a colum full of scientific explanation on the technology limitations... but now those limitations are gone.!

The 50D keeps the Compact Flash card format and the BP511A battery.That's kind of nice for those of us who have other EOS bodies that use CF cards and the BP511 batteries. What really caught my attention was the adjustment for front and back focus, seen first with the 1D series. Could this be the beginning of the end of "front focus" and "back focus" posts on this forum?

"When some people say "Limitation of physics" for cramping so many megapixels in such small sensor, I always think that the limitation of physics will be overcome somehow by innovation... Today's limitation of physics = tomorrow's innovation!

Those are limitations of engineering, not physics. What you can't do is beat quantum mechanics, which define the ultimate noise floor of a detector. Cramming more pixels in a given space is just engineering (possible difficult engineering, but engineering none the less).

It's like the speed of light. You can get close, but you can't go any faster, and that's physics, not engineering.

I just saw the sample images on Canon website. Although they are impressive, I obsered that they are taken with following lesnes: 17-55 IS, 50mm/f1.2, 16-35L, 600mm f4!

Of course it's injustice to expect Canon to post sample images from their new camera with 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS lenses,

But, still reminds me Bob Atkin's question

"are your lenses good enough to even takle advantage of the higher resolution?"

"When some people say "Limitation of physics" for cramping so many megapixels in such small sensor, I always think that the limitation of physics will be overcome somehow by innovation... Today's limitation of physics = tomorrow's innovation! "

A theoritical limitation CAN NEVER be overcome, a practical limitation in 21st centuary may be overcome in 22nd centuary. Be careful with choice of words, limitations of physics can not be overcome by innovation. Also don't be over exicted, increasing microlens size by 10% or such has very little effect on noise, if Canon said 1 stop that is marketing scam. The following sample taken whith arguably Canon's best prime, the 50 f/1.2L at f/8 is very soft and shows no visible improvement over the 40D.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos50d/downloads/2_landscape.jpg

The ISO 1600 sample is out of focus and extremely soft due to NR

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos50d/downloads/4_sports.jpg

If you want images that are large you can upsample your photos for free in photoshop, also noise reduction is available for free, you don't need a new camera for that.

"It seems that physics has some more cards up its sleeve"

Not in your lifetime it doesn't...

As for the images being good, what woudl you expect. Canon shot them with the best lenses they had available, often at optimum aperture, with everything optimized for image quality. I'd imagine they represent the very best that the camera can do.

You'd have to compare them with Canon's similar images for the 40D if you want a comparision. In isolation with no reference to images shot be another camera, all you can really say is they look pretty good - and we all know what counts isn't whether the image is good, but whether it's better than something else. This is a competition after all.

"BTW it can detect up to 35 faces in a group when using live view and optimize exposure for them.

I'm holding out for 50 faces with the 60D myself...I mean what happens if you have 36 people in your group...

"

lol, which of the 35 faces will it focus on say if people are standing in 3 rows?

>> It's like the speed of light. You can get close, but you can't go any faster, and that's physics, not engineering. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light It seems that physics has some more cards up its sleeve... :-)

Happy shooting, Yakim.

Yakim,

Given that you posted this I take it you have the background to fully undrestand what the article refers to. "information traveling faster than the speed of light" is something people had in mind when QM entangled states were first suggested, QM entaglement is proven by EPR experiment however it is IMPOSSIBLE to transmit any information using this way, causality is always preserved and thus nothing locally travels faster than light.

"When some people say "Limitation of physics" for cramping so many megapixels in such small sensor, I always think that the limitation of physics will be overcome somehow by innovation... Today's limitation of physics = tomorrow's innovation! "

People also say "marketing hype"! There is no getting around that though. However the proof of "gapless microlens" will be in the pudding, when it is served.

Frankly speaking, I don't see the reason for this camera. Search this forum for past discussions on 40D. There are a lot of things people wished for, higher resolution was not one of those. Why not just make a 10MP/12MP sensor which has one more stop of ISO advantage!

The only improvement in 50D for serious photographers is the lens adjustment. This feature will help us create more good photos than the higher resolution or the VGA screen.

I don't want to get too deep into physics, after all, this is a photography forum last time I looked... :-)

I can only say that looking at Quantum theory and related fields I completely agree with what J.B.S. Haldane once said: I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._B._S._Haldane

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Has anyone calculated how many megapixels a full frame body, using the 50D's 4.7µm pixels, would make?

Supposing the 5D's successor has a sensor with similar density, we might be able to get a ballpark idea what final MP the

next prosumer D-SLR might have. I'm impressed with the 50D, but will upgrade my 5D when its successor comes around.

Though my 5D takes good photos, it would still benefit me to have more pixels to use or crop from. (After using a full frame body I

wouldn't be able to return to 1.6x)

Cheers

> Those are limitations of engineering, not physics. What you can't do is beat quantum mechanics, which define the

ultimate noise floor of a detector.

That's what they once said about atoms and electrons.

Quantum physics is the ultimate noise floor of CURRENT detectors... :-)

On the 50D: I must say this looks like a very interesting camera. Almost tempted to replace my 400D, I think this

would make a very good amateur sports body... (Might tempt me away from my EOS 30 for day-to-day shots, even)