TE head unscrews!

If it comes apart with nothing else becoming loose (either within the helicoid, or as part of the front aperture section part), then

it doesn't appear to be very different at all in disassembled form to a larger 135mm Tele-Elmar, which was made to disassemble for Viso

use (I've never used the older Elmarit 90mm so I don't know what it looks like after disassembly).

Just a supposition, but perhaps Leica at one time considered adapting this lens to the Viso and didn't go through with it because it might

have required a new adapter (not one of the then current ones) and they already had one or two 90mm lenses that were Viso adaptable.

Also, the whole purpose with the Tele-Elmarit is its compacity for hand held shooting, less so with the Elmarit or Summicron of the

time.

Just had another look at my T/E and there's no way it will unscrew -- and no way I would try to make it. It's a sweet

compact lens and likes staying in one piece! Important question: can you put it back together again?

<<I'd forget my own head if it wasn't screwed on.... >>

Mohir raises an interesting secondary point. I wonder why Leitz put Made in Canada on both the barrel and the front

element retaining ring? At one point there was only one mention, and (I may be wrong) some lenses had made in Canada

in black (like Made in Germany mentions on the back of the M6 body). They wondered about putting Leitz Midland at one

point, like putting Leitz Wetzlar on the German lenses. Leitz was not too consistent with their markings on lenses and

cameras (sometimes Leitz Canada, other times Made in Canada, etc.). Happily, the quality of their products was pretty

much consistent and excellent, irrespective of the plant location or the markings.