"Picture Style" settings if post-processing will be done

oleg_lempert2

I shoot mostly landscapes. Hence, "Landscape" is the default picture style in my Canon 30D. Occasionaly I set it

to "Standard". Does it make sense to set all settings like Sharpness/Brightness/Contrast/Saturation to Zero if I

always post-process? Or should I set it to Standard ? With Landscape, Sharpness is set to +4, while all others to +2.

Thanks.

If you shoot RAW *AND* use a RAW converter that can read Canon picture style tags (such as the Canon's own

DPP), the "at shot" picture style settings will be used as the starting point for the conversion. You can overwrite

these settings, of course.

If you shoot JPEGs and post process you should optimize your Picture Style settings to minimize the amount of post processing required.

If you shoot RAW and post process via DPP, it doesn't matter since you can apply any Picture Style, and Sharpness/Brightness/Contrast/Saturation correction to the RAW image during conversion

Bob says it best: "If you shoot JPEGs and post process you should optimize your Picture Style settings to minimize the amount of post processing required."

From long term experience I find (and highly recommend) that even when shooting Raw files it is advantageous to optimize all settings (as though you were shooting Jpegs). Reason: the view you'll see on the back LCD screen will be a bit more accurate and consistent. Granted, Canon's LCD screens are miserable even on their mega-dollar cameras and that makes viewing capability and accuracy come up far short of the actual image captured. But a - consistent - viewing image is far better to work from when shooting and in post-processing.

Second, if you do this when shooting Raw files... the changeover to Jpeg's involves the very same camera-setting skills; learn them once... use them for everything. It also becomes a self-teaching experience out in the field.

I actually began wondering about this very subject...and I too, generally photograph landscapes.

I increased sharpness from the default 3, to a value of 6. Actually.....I really didn't notice a great

difference. On the other hand, it didn't appear to degrade anything either. I did discover however,

that setting metering to CWA was not advantageous. Everything seemed to be slightly underexposed.

I was wondering what the best use of CWA might be. I've always had good luck with evaluative,

even though it doesn't get the highest reviews by folks here. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Bill,"even though it doesn't get the highest reviews by folks here".

So, what type of metering DOES have the highest review here? CWA or Spot-Meter ? I use Evaluative all the time, but then I bracket my landscape exposures to +/-- 1.5 stops. Reason? I merge them in PS because the contrast between the bright sky and shady foreground is beyond the camera's Dynamic Range.

The exception is a windy scene when multiple exposures will not blend accurately due to possible movement of grass, branches, flower,water. In this case I use GND filters and expose "to the right".