Camera Strap Question and Advice

josheudowe

I've been searching around and reading posts (both on photo.net and reviews on some other sites) in search of a

great camera strap. I'm using a D300 with an 18-200 predominantly and need a great all around strap that doesn't

slip, but is great for hiking, etc.

I've looked at the R-Strap which seems great, but having it attach to the bottom of the camera seems as though it

would interfere with placing the camera in any tight fitting top-loader which I occasionally use. I've looked at the

Lowepro straps, but read a few comments about the clasps seeming a bit too easy to undo and thus risk dropping

the camera.

Again, I do a lot of hiking and therefore, want a strap that hold the camera tight to my body and is ultra secure.

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Does the R-Strap really feel ULTRA secure? Again, hiking tends to throw your camera around a bit and although I usually keep it in a top-loader, I would like to just let it hang across my shoulder at times when I'm shooting more often.

Also, does the R-Strap prohibit putting the camera in a big with the strap or does it merely make it a bit more cumbersome.

Josh, I assume your last statement was directed at me. I have the Crumpler and love it. I ordered the camo colored one after finding it on the internet in stock. I wanted the black color but they are on backorder at most reasonably priced places. It is about $60 US from Crumpler. I have the black one backordered through adorama for $25 delivered and will keep the camo as a backup once it arrives.

I agree. I hate a neck strap, but hiking and constantly pulling a camera out of bag is such a hassle. The R-Strap looks

fantastic, but I can't tell if it will be a pain in the neck with constantly wanting to put the camera on a tripod and needing to

unscrew it. Luckily straps tend to be the least expensive accessory and thus probably will result in me going through a

couple of them until I find the right one.

Is the R-Strap really as secure as it seems?

• 4 months later...

<p>For a comfortable non-slip strap I would go with the OP/TECH Utility Strap.<br>

The bonus that OP/TECH has over UPSTRAP is their system connectors which allow you to switch between other connection points (such as the backpack connectors). I also think that the Utility Strap is more comfortable than the rubbery UPSTRAP. The other nice thing about these straps are that the quick disconnects allow you to easily and quickly take the strap off the camera while storing in your backpack or doing tripod work. <a href="http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=52&PRODUCT_SUB_ID="><br /> <br /> OP/TECH USA Utility Strap</a> <a href="http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=48&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4"><br /> <br /> OP/TECH USA System Connectors<br /> <br /> </a> You can also find these OP/TECH items at Adorama and B&H.<br /> <br /> By the way... OP/TECH USA neck straps are EXTREMELY comfortable. I barely notice my camera with my heavy 80-200 2.8 AF-D around my neck (using the <a href="http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=45&PRODUCT_SUB_ID=&CATEGORY_ID=4">Super Classic Strap</a> <a>).</a></p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I recently purchased a Pap Strap and I wouldn't change it for the world. I don't really consider myself a full diehard hiker but I do enjoy frequent cross country strolls. What I love about carrying my camera on the Pap Strap now is that it doesn't get in my way. You will all know what it is like walking up hill, that bending forward used to hang my camera away from my body and cause it to swing about. The heavy drag on my lower neck would leave me in pain for quite a few hours. On my Pap Strap my camera is behind me and for the most part does not move about. It certainly doesn't bounce and hang away from me. It take me two minutes to release my camera from the strap so I can pack it in my bag quickly and easily. I lsimply love it.</p>