Nikon 35mm 1.4, Lack of Infinity Focus.

pat_ostman

I have a Nikon 35mm 1.4 lens (4402xx), that I am sure used to focus perfectly at infinity. Now I can't get it to focus at infinity at all. What

am I missing? What are the possible causes for this?

I am using it on a D700. I have tried it on a friends D200 and I see the same problem. I have not tried it on my D2X yet.

I live in Santa Cruz, so if this is a fault with the lens I would be looking to get it repaired locally I need for a trip to Europe at the beginning

of september.

thx. in advance.

Assuming it is not damaged or "repaired", I would check an infinity subject and some close subject in the center of the image. If it worked before, it still should work.

I will say, digital has made us very fussy and perhaps you did not notice before.

I have an original 35 2.0 that was Ai, and use it on the D200 without a problem.

I assume you mean it turns to infinity, but the camera does not indicate an infinity object is in focus.

Did it "used to focus perfectly" on a film (or digital) body that you still have? If so, check it with that to confirm/eliminate whether something has changed with the lens itself.

Is it producing photos that are just plain out of focus, or is it just the way it looks in the viewfinder?

I can't speculate on causes but would venture to say you certainly know sharp infinity-focus when you see it...and when you don't. Our 35/1.4's have never had focus problems (447xxx, 438xxx). You should get it to a repair shop post-haste in light of departure date.

Did you possibly mount a filter on the front of it?

I ask because some years ago I was convinced my Nikkor 180/2.8 would not focus to infinity and needed repair, and

the first thing the tech did was remove the filter. At that point, all was fine. I threw that filter away and

replaced it with another one which caused no problems.

Last time I used it in anger it was on a D200 about a year ago. All those photographs were sharp as a tack. So something must have

happened to it in between.

No filter on it.

Anybody here know of a good, reliable place in the SF Bay Area to get it fixed. I live in Santa Cruz, so somewhere in the south bay would

be best. Thx. for all the help so far.

Pat

My 438XXX is probably my all time favorite for use on D200. It is incredibly sharp..especially close up.

You should have no focus problems with it on DX body. Maybe the "CRC" function is not working properly.

As long as other lenses focus to inifinity on the same camera, the camera is not the issue.

You can send the lens to Pete Smith at FOTOCAMERA REPAIR INC in Lake Worth, Florida.

Pete has worked on film bodies for me as well as lenses from the Nikon rangefinder to semi modern AIS lenses.

When I send him lenses and the like from Northern California via USPS Priority Mail, I have them in my hands maybe a week and a half later, repaired.

Pete does a great job, has very fast turn around and is one of the top Nikon repair people.

In case I sound very enthusiastic it is because I get the same type of service from Pete each time I have sent him a lens or camera body.

If you don't procrastinate you can get the lens back repaired before your departure and spend a very reasonable amount of money for the service.

Does it Look sharp when you view thru the camera? Are you setting the lens at INF and then shooting or are you focussing

in screen at INF? Have you done a focus bracket, minute shifts front and back of in screen INF focus? Do other single

focus lenses do the same on this body or are you sure its just this lens? These are all valid questions that can help figure

this out.

That being said, it is totally possible that the lens is slightly out. I know my 3 versions of this lens have a small amount of

internal adjustment available to get true infinity focus. But first I have to know that the body used to test has be adjusted to

be accurate. Bodies can go out as well. The AiS version may have a small amount of correction, if your handy you might

be able to do it. But if the body is out they no amount of in lens tweeking will help.

A quick thank-you for all the responses.. To answer some of the questions asked.

I shot the same image on 2 separate cameras. The D700 was new to me and I was not sure if that might have been the reason for the

focus problem. I was at a friends house and shot with her d200 and both images showed poor performance at infinity. Actually with

further testing the camera stopped reporting a focus lock (little round dot in the view finder) some distance short of infinity. I have

previously used this lens on a D2X and a D300 and a review of those images showed they were tack sharp.. This lens along with a 105

2.5 is my favorite lens for personal work.

I have now sent it for repair. Lets see where that leads.