I had been on occasion opening up jpeg files into camera raw on my elements 5.0 program. I have forgotten how

to do this.DOes anyone have a clue? I have read through all the info on website and nothing seems to apply to

my

problem. I have tried the Ctrl +r etc..

thanks

mary

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but why would you want to go from jpeg to raw. One the camera has taken its own raw file and done its own processing to produce a jpeg, there's no point in trying to change it into a raw file. It's like making a pig from a sausage. Shooting raw in the first place avoids all the camera processing and allows the photographer to control the exposure, contrast, and color balance. Once a file is a jpeg, it's already done... by the camera... without your input.

Eric

She's not going from jpeg to raw. She's just editing jpegs with the same controls she has when editing raw, one reason for doing this is that it's the easiest way to adjust white balance on jpegs.

If she plans to make major adjustments to the image, I and many others would recommend using raw in the first place. When shooting jpegs, the camera processor selects for and adjusts the white balance... and all the other parameters. Maybe I'm just dense, but I have yet to understand why people who can shoot raw, and who are serious about their images do not do so. Perhaps Mary is using a point and shoot camera that will not make a raw image, if so, all bets are off. If she wants to make the best images possible, and one can afford it, any dslr will shoot raw and outperform almost all point and shoots anyway, just based on sensor size if nothing else.

Good luck.

Eric

I am not a point and shoot rater I am using a D80 Nikon. and Greg is right..on occasion I like the option of "just

changing the white balance" and then switching back to editor..remember I said this is a adobe elements 5.0

program..therefore I have NO bridge. as in photoshop c3. I own scott kelby's book and have researched this

extensively..I know it can be done..NOW ..can anyone tell me how?

I am not using a point and shoot.I am using a D80 Nikon. and Greg is right..on occasion I like the option of "just

changing the white balance" and then switching back to editor..remember I said this is a adobe elements 5.0

program..therefore I have NO bridge. as in photoshop c3. I own scott kelby's book and have researched this

extensively..I know it can be done..the question is not why do I want to do it..but HOW ..can anyone tell me how?

Mary, I don't have PSE 5 but I *think* the answer is something like use File/Open As..... or something like that. If you only use File/Open, it will open only as a JPEG. If you use the other one, it can actually open the file in the RAW format. I believe you have to change the file format to RAW but I am not sure.

I would guess there is something in the manual that talks about this but I know you can do it.

• 5 months later...

<p>Go into Bridge preferences and click on Thumbnails. Place a check in the box that says Camera Raw opens tiff and jpeg. From then on jpeg and tiffs will open automatically in ACR from within Bridge. This works in Bridge 2.1.1.9 with CS3. CS4 Bridge may have placed this preference somewhere else. Not sure.</p>

<p>If you don't want it to do this all the time, then uncheck it this preference and use the drop down menu option.</p>