"Upgrading" to Refurbished Rebel XT from Elan 7......will I be happy?

jay hayter

I've been working with trad. black and white for years now and I'm tired of hanging out in the dark. I need to

go digital but I also need to spend as little money as possible. I've found a refurbished Rebel XT for $409.00

Canadian. It comes with a 50mm lens that I can dump on Ebay making this a very good deal, right?

Will I hate this camera? The shape, size, layout of the Elan is perfect for me and the rebel looks very small.

The original Drebels were a perfect size IMO.

I can't find any new or refurbished 30Ds out there and buying second hand would be akin to buying used diapers

would it not?

Anyway, I hope someone has some input to help me contribute to the extinction of Film.

Cheers,

J.

Try it and see. You like the Elan, go as close to it as you think you can. Have you actually held and played with the Rebel XT? If the original Drebels were fine, buy one. Try keh.com, for example. Anyway, how would anyone else know what you'll think of digital? Most who switch do just fine, as far as I've seen. Good luck.

Most people slate the size of the 350D, 400D, 450D or whatever you odd colonials call them over there.

However, i've had the 350 and 400 and size wise for a regular carry around they are just fine, trust me the 20D, 30D, 40D do get quite hefty after a while, i personally prefer the build of the XXD series but then I previously shot with an EOS1, (which I still use), no reason you can't with yours.

Lens - if it's the 50mm f1.8 MKII, they cost £80 new, don't count on a big chunk from Ebay, they're plentiful new on there as well as cheap second hand, if the MKI (metal mount), it'll fetch more, i'd say, keep it, use it, it's an astounding lens and by far the best value for money lens I have ever owned of any camera, this is great for informal portraits on a crop or full frame.

If it's the f1.2 (can't imagine so at the price), and you don't need it, sell it it'll fetch a decent price as it's horrendously expensive new.

Buying second hand, well, like used cars it's hit and miss, if you don't trust yourself or a friend to spot a good one don't risk it.

One final note that may well ont help you, I still prefer the look of Ilfords FP4 and HP5 for anything i'm shooting in B&W over digital, even with PS work.

The 350D/XT is capable of producing photographs with the same IQ as the 20D/30D bodies since its sensor is virtually

the same - in other words it can produce, with care and good lenses, prints to perhaps 16 x 24 inches.

You'll have to decide if the small size is a deal-breaker or not. I used one for a while and I adapted well to it - and I have

large hands. The interface is a bit different that the X0D series bodies, but whether better or worse is an open question.

(I say this as one who has used the Rebel interface and the 5D interface.)

Be cautious about the 50mm lens. Is that the focal length you liked on the old film camera? If so, it will NOT have the

same effect on the Rebel because the rebel's cropped sensor is smaller than 35mm film. In terms of angle of view

coverage, putting a 50mm lens on the Rebel is like shooting with a 80mm lens on the film SLR. If you are trying to

replicate the effect of the 50mm lens on the film camera, look for something in the 28mm to 35mm range on the Rebel.

(The actual equivalent is 31.25mm.)

Dan

The natural progression is to go from the Elan 7 to the 20, 30, or 40d (at least that's what I did - Elan 7 to 20d) in terms of size, control lay-out, etc. You'll probably find the XT's grip to be very small, and the viewfinder to be even smaller (it is often compared unfavorably to a tunnel). Image-wise, though, you'll be happy with any of the choices Canon is offering.

I know that a couple of places in the U.S. have new 30d's for $699 usd, and the newest Rebel XSi is selling for the same with the IS kit lens (which can be sold for twice what you'll pay for the kit). The XSi has the same grip, but does have an improved viewfinder.

Your best bet is to go and handle a Rebel and a 30d or 40d and see what you think.

I had to buy an emergency backup before a trip and got an XTi, in case my 20D packed up again on the trip (it's another story about why...). I did not mind it, but I found the 20D to be my preference despite its lower pixel count. I was happy when my daughter needed it to have the standard camera used at her art school, and traded me her 20D for it. I think it says something that she now wants to swap back to have her 20D for use again. It's not much trouble to move up from the "Rebel/3-4xxxD" line to the X0D line, but once you get used to the easier access to commands and so on, it's not so easy to move back. Any pixel count above 6 MP is OK and 8 and above is certainly good enough for the 13x19 prints I make.

Check around to see if you can't get even a better price. Whatever you do, keep the 50mm lens--it's quite good.

I have 20D, 40D, and Rebel XT, and while it does take some paying of attention to the controls when switching

betwixt, I haven't found it to be unduly burdensome. Moved to digital from the Elan series, BTW

The small size of the Rebel is actually a selling point for me ( medium sized hands) for walkaround shooting

Agree with JDM, I print 13x19 also, and am pleased with the results, and also agree keep 50mm...you won't get

anything for it, and it's a good lens

I think the biggest adjustment you'll have to make is to the small size of the viewfinder image. You may also find focus performance a little more erratic, and you may miss the rear dial and the focus mode switch. In any event, you'll spend a little time getting used to the new buttons and extra settings (white balance, ISO...) that are handled in a different way with film.

Like Scott, I went from an Elan 7 to a Rebel XT. Yes, it is smaller but it took only a short while for me to adjust. It is a really nice entry into digital. I have no problem adjusting any of the settings on my camera, despite the lack of a wheel, but then I also use a film Rebel 2000 before upgrading to the Elan 7, so I was already accustomed to the layout.