New Hasselblad at Photokina?

William Kahn

The latest Hasselblad newsletter announces the new HD3II-50 with, yep, a 50MP sensor (apparently Kodak's

latest). It sounds like it will be introduced at Photokina, but no indication of how soon it will be on the street, or

how much it will cost (probably more than my house). Time to buy another Powerball ticket......

That's not so bad.<br>Always a stable platform. And the walker will hold the laptop and external hard drive we'll need to store the images. And even when going untethered, we need something to take the load of the many CF cards needed.<br>Starting to sound really appealing: a walker. Maybe Imacon could start providing those as an in-the-box accessory? ;-)

Good replies. I'm curious as to how many of these kits are actually selling on an annual basis. 50? 100? Thousands?

It just wouldn't seem like to me that they'd sell very many $40,000 cameras but, hey, maybe there are more people that buy it than I would ever dream.

Same with the Phase One Backs. When they come out with a price tag of $40,000 for the back alone I'm wondering just how many of these things are selling per year.

To make things simple if something has a price tag of $40,000 and they sell 300 of them a year that's only generating $12,000,000 a year in revenue and considering the grand scheme of things that just doesn't seem like a ton of money when taking into account what the potential costs probably run on this stuff. But, hey, maybe I'm way off base here.

Voluminous Landscape had an article on the new Phase One release that mentioned the total world medium format back market (not just P1) was 6000 units/year. I think Blad has about 1/2 of that, the rest being divvied up between P1, Jenoptik, Leaf, old stock of the Mamiya RZ, and Megavision.

p.s. Hasselblad does make new cameras. They're now on the third revision of the H series. The latest cameras feel a lot more "integrated" when you bolt on a back than they did just 2 years ago. They're sort of where the 35mm DLSR market was about 12 years ago in terms of functionality and ergonomics (Kodak DSC backs attached to Nikon F5 film SLRs)...

The Mamiya ZD DSLR (teh ZD camera, not the ZD back) was a major breakthrough. It managed to approach the level of integration and ergonomics of the Nikon D1. If Mamiya had managed to ship in 2004, they would only have been 5 years behind the Nikon D1. (well, the Minolta wouldn't have had the shooting speed, AF speed and accuracy, or metering accuracy o the Nikon, but you get the picture).

<i>"p.s. Hasselblad does make new cameras. They're now on the third revision of the H series."</i><br><br>It's the same old H-camera, not new.<br>The only new thing about it is something in the firmware.<br><br>Hasselblad does not (!) make new cameras. They indeed are in the first place Imacon, then Imacon, and finally Imacon once again. The only difference between them and Leaf, Phase One and others is that the latter use cameras from another make as a platform, while Imacon were given the Hasselblad camera + production facility by Shriro to put their backs on.