Help with 28-105 f.35-4.5 lens

craig_sander

I don't have this particular lens, but I suspect they all work similarly. There are, in the accompanying Canon

lens hood picture, two marks on the hood. One is a circle and a line, and the other is a red dot. When stowed

backwards on the lens (as it will be when you put it in the camera bag, etc.), you will twist the hood counter

clockwise (looking down on it) until the circle and line are where the red dot was (usually with a sort of clip).

At that point, the hood should simply lift off the lens. To mount the hood in its normal use position, align the

solid red dot on the hood with the solid red dot on the front rim of the lens. Then twist clockwise (again from

the top) until the red circle and line snap into place over the red dot on the lens front.

Remember, we are talking about red dots, etc., on the front of the lens, not the alignment marks on the rear of

the lens mount.<div>00QVmj-64311584.JPG.9009b140c162e8e3b2f7be5189dbd292.JPG</div>

Some Canon lenses and hoods don't have the marks, but you do essentially the same thing by feel. As Jason says, pretty close to a quarter turn. On lenses with rotating front lens elements (e.g., the 70/75-300mm zooms), you need to hold the rotating part of the lens so you don't force it, and it's best to turn the autofocus off.

Nah, not stupid at all!

The general law here is "if it doesn't work easy, don't force it."

This is not the same thing, though, as the supposedly Pompeii blacksmith graffito saying "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer"

JDM,

Sort of like when I used to pull wrenches for a liveing...We called the 20lb hammer, "20lbs of persuasion".

Of course you hoped to not have to use more than 10 to 12lbs of persuasion at any one time. :o)

If that did not get it going....there was always the "Blue Tip" wrench. Also known as the torch.

Jason