Canon color saturation, Buying camera's & stuff

joe_rych

Eash time I look at test photo's and comparisons I see that canon seems to have greater color density. Can anyone

explain to me why this is? It really boggles me. I would like to be able to have really rich blue sky's in my pictures as

well. I am only asking because I'm a professional event photographer currently crossing over into digital. My money

situation deems that I can not afford to go with the D700's at this time. I will be going with the D300 bodies. I know

they arent as clean as the 700's and maybe next yeat I will get FX equipment but at this time its what I can get.

Plan your lenses such that they will work on FX. Full frame was not in the picture 18 months ago and now I have some DX equipment I probably would not have bought. 70/200 2.8 and 17/55 2.8 are two examples, fortunately I do not own either. I do have a 12/24 and 18/70.

Just as you can buy films with different color saturations and contrast, there are settings on the digi slr.

to accomplish the same thing. Photoshop does if if you don`t like what comes from the camera.

Nikon raw settings will move to NX. If photoshop is used, a preset can be made to boost contrast/saturation from raw. A few clicks will boost it no differently than in camera would have done.

Don`t know about Canon proprietory software and raw, but JPEG output settings from any camera carries into a photoeditor as you took the picture.

Buy the camera you are comfortable with including looking at the larger models right now.

A camera's settings, or differences in camera settings probably account for most of what you are seeing.

My D300 gives me similar if not equal color to my 5D out of the camera. Of course, saturation can be easily added during PP to equal the playing field.

Perhaps equally important to your camera selection is the software you will process your images with.

I presume what you are seeing is greater saturation.

Shoot RAW, then back home you can tweak the settings in NX to your heart's delight, including increasing the saturation. And as stated above, you can increase the saturation in Photoshop. Personally I find some people overdo the saturation and create Disney-esque images.

I'm not familiar with the D300, but I suspect you can also get profiles, which give a particular look and feel.