How Weather-proof is Canon FD gear?

gnashings

Hi Folks,

I really hope that some of the veterans of using Canon FD gear in the field will chime in - I did a search, but after

several pages got bogged down with EOS information, perhaps my searching skills are not up to scratch. I am

mainly concerned with my New F1 (latest version), I assume the non-pro models are probably not water-proof at all.

I would like to know just how careful do I have to be with my F1? How about lenses? Which ones are, which ones

are not? So far I have just kept my camera perfectly dry, but this summer has been the wettest on record, and I

have been itching to just say "screw it" and attempt to shoot anyway... I would appreciate any input, thanks in

advance,

Peter.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any of the FD gear is weatherproof as the EOS professional models. I can't remember any reference to weather proof with regard to the FD models. I just had a quick look at the 1981 Canon Focus/Lenswork book and found no reference to dust/moisture seals with any of the L models either. Better be careful.

I seem to remember that the Canon F1 was built to withstand severe weather environments. If you check out canon camera museum and look at the construction and specifications for the New F1 you may be surprised how well built these camera are. That said, whatever weather sealilng is introduced, you have to remember that age of rubber and lubricants makes that somewhat a mute issue .. all seals break down with time, and lubricants can harden and migrate ... and no camera is waterproof.

It is not as much a concern for those who treat their gear with due regard and respect .. and use rain covers, etc. I've used my Canon F1 in hot humid summer of the midwest and in minus 30 degrees F with nary a problem; my newer cameras seem to be more sensitive to temperature and humidity extremes .. the more electronics to mechanical ratio that is built into cameras .. and the more lens elements in zooms .. the more potential for problems.

No cameras are designed to be left out in the rain on a tripod .. and that goes for your newest and expensive digital wonders too (perhaps more so).. with lenses, I tend to avoid constant zooming in dusty conditions or high humidity .. zooms breathe and air is exchanged in/out .. as is dust and moisture. That said I've been caught in significant rains with my F1N and try as I must it got fairly wet .. no problems. But is is not waterproof and I always carry a dry rag in my kit to handle splashes, spills, and torrential rainfall. When I purposely go out and shoot in the rain, be it spring or winter, I carry a towel and a plastic bag .. which is a lot cheaper than a waterproof housing or buying a new camera.

Pete,if you can snag a copy of' 'The New F1N World' published by Canon back in 1981 you will learn more about the F1N than you probably want to know.The camera is not waterproof but is built to military standards,in other words you can beat the crap out of it under most normal temperture extremes and humidity and it won't be phased.Dust is the biggest issue because the lens mount and pentaprism are not "sealed".I've learned to live with that issue with a little (and I mean gentle) squirt of canned air ever so often.I keep mine in a gallon size ziplock bag (not fully closed) when not in use outside in the camera bag.None of the FD lenses are weather sealed.I believe it is the most weather resistant electronic manual focus camera produced by Canon.

I've got a wee Canon O.E.M. waterproof cover for the shutter release button - obviously it must have been found to be

a problem area. Is not solid rubber but recessed underneath to seal with the top surface of the actual metal surface -

where the remote release screws into. It was in a polybag with the red Canon label, but sorry can't remember the

actual part description, will advise if I locate it. Seems quite rare - only ever come across this one.

(Sorry have a jpg, but don't seem to be able to add attachments here anymore)<div>00QV49-64063584.jpg.17ead7457ca1c6cb46aa0da18831b11b.jpg</div>

Interesting links are

http://www.canonfd.com/newf1world/f1worldind2.html and http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/1250/featured-used-camera-of-the-week-canon-new-f-1.html

I've used mine in light rain, fog, and mist with no problems but like others I don't think it has the weatherproofing of my 1V and age has surely taken it's toll on any items made of rubber.

It is niot weatherproof in the way that an EOS1V with a 24-70 F2.8L lens is. However, I have used the new F1 many times in heavy rain and so long as you keep it out of the rain as much as possible it does not appear to suffer from harm. I have regularly used it in extreme cold (-40C) without any issues - remember not to bring it from this level of cold into a warm building as I understand condensation can cause problems. I suspect that the F1N works well in bad weather as it is very well built and does not cantain very mcuh electronics. Thus if you keep it in a bag except when you are actually using it and try and shield it from the worst of the rain if it is on a tripod I think it works fine. Remeber all the pros used this camera or the Nikon at sports events around the world for many years.

Thank you for the wealth of info - I appreciate it (sorry it took so long for me to get on here and say thanks, but I've had a nightmare move and my ISP has been.. well - its a different story all together:)). Essentially, I have been using my F1N the way most of you describe - it will probably be OK in pretty bad weather, but no guarantees, so don't take unnecessary risks. Thanks again,

Peter.

• 2 years later...
<p>Hi, google takes me here and I'd like to share some of my experience with the FD cameras. The F-1n (not the New F-1 introduced in the 80s) is a better camera from my point of view. Each year, I need to stay in very humid environment for 1 week or two. I never had problem with my F-1n. This year, I also brought the New F-1 with me. After shooting in the rain for a few days, the new f-1 failed. But my F-1n is still working. A few years ago, my F-1n dropped into the water when I was kayaking. I picked it up, dried it under sun, replaced the film, and continued my shooting a few hours later. The F-1n is by far the most reliable camera I've ever used.</p>