shoot family and indoor events such as cheerleading competitions, tae kwon do

events, and dance recitals. Outdoor events such as softball, football,

cheerleading. I have about a $2,000 budget. My question is would I be better

off getting an XTI and the 70-200 f/2.8 or get the new 40D and a lens like the

70-200 f/4? My current 70-300 lens f/4-5.6 has been a bit slow for some of the

indoor events. I have not held a 40D yet but the I have big hands the XTI seems

a little small comapared to my Rebel Ti. Your opinions would be greatly

appreciated.

I have the 40d (upgraded from a 400d). Its an awesome camera and a much better fit if you have bigger hands. i guess it all comes down to budget really. The 70-200m f2.8 will be better for indoors low light, but is a pricey lens. Maybe get the 40d and a cheaper prime lens such as the 40mm f1.4 or the 135mm f2.0

The XTI will fit in your hand better if you get Camera Armor for it. A camera shop might have a display model of it out that they can put over it for you to check out the sizing. It still might be a touch small vertically, depending on how you angle your hand and where your pinky falls. I have long fingers rather than a necessarily wide palm.

The 40D would still be a better camera, I'm sure, and the higher frame rate will help with sports. So will the faster lens. Is your 70-30 f/4-5.6 still too slow when used at 70 f/4? Then the 70-200 f/4 probably won't help.

What's the chance you would sell your old lens (before or after) to supplement your budget and get both?

I have an XT and a Rebel T2, I find the XT to be reasonably sized. You need to make that decision about how comfortable it is. I would lean heavily towards the f/2.8 lens. For what you describe it will beat the f/4 hands down. If you are worried about the XTi's size, look for a deal on a 30D (that will probably put you to something like $2200 unless you can find a good deal).

I owned a Rebel XT for two years (same form factor as XTi) and I currently use a 5D.

In my view, the form factor and interface issues around the Rebel series are quite

overrated. I have large hands and I never felt constrained by the smaller body size of the

Rebel. Once I learned the camera and adapted to its control system I barely gave the size a

thought.

In my view the interface (e.g. control system) issues are also overrated. Again, once you

use a camera a lot you learn its interface to the point that it becomes second nature. For

example, I often had to do things like enable/disable MLU and I could do this very quickly

on the Rebel. Today when I compare the Rebel to my 5D (which I very much like, by the

way) I have to admit that certain aspects of the Rebel interface are actually _better_ than

the 5D. Example: When shooting on a tripod I could see all settings on the back display

when using the Rebel; on the 5D some settings only appear on the top display and are not

easy (or, sometimes, possible) to see when the camera is on a tripod at a good elevation.

You may have answered your own question about lenses. If you are really constrained by

the aperture of your current lens then you may well want something with a wider aperture

on the new camera. For the subjects you describe, and assuming that the additional stop

of aperture is important to your shooting, I would guess that there is a good chance that

the XTi/f/2.8 (with IS, right?) combination could make more of difference to your

photographic results than the 40D/f/4 combo.

The frame rate question puts an interesting twist on things. If you are a big burst mode

shooter, the 40D does go faster. On the other hand, I know people who shoot indoor

gymnastics who prefer to _not_ use burst mode. So, it becomes a matter of persona style

and perhaps a question of whether the added burst mode speed increment will make a

significant enough difference.

David makes a good point about selling that old lens...

Dan

If I was in your position....<P>

XTi + Tamron 17-50/2.8 (I own both of these, great setup) + either Canon 85/1.8 or Canon 100/2 (portraits, indoor events) + EX430 speedlight. Should come out close to $2k.<P>

I'd keep the old telephoto lens for now and upgrade it later. I wouldn't blow the budget on getting high-end telephoto gear at this time.

XTi, Battery Grip and 70-200 2.8 is the way I would go if I were doing things over. The battery grip is one of the best investments I have made for my camera. The extra battery life is a big plus and if you shot any vertical pictures you'll come to love the extra shutter button the battery grip provides.

I agree with Zack. The battery grip on the XTi really fixes the size problem and gives you the benefits of double the battery life and vertical shutter. For what you're doing F2.8 would be best. I wish I did that in the first place. I now have to seel my 70-200 F4 to trade up to the F2.8 version. Don't bother with the IS version it won't help in sports shooting, only stills. But be aware the XTi will have about half the sutter life of the 40D, 30D. XTi 25,00 to 45,000 clicks, the 40D,30D about 100k. It's pay me now or pay me later. Maybe look out for closouts on the 30D and get the 70-200 2.8 even if it's a bit over budget.