Dumb question of the hour (focus)

robertjewett

OK, I know I need to be focusing on the eye for basic portraits. How exactly are you guys doing this? I am using

AF on an XTI with either a nifty fifty or my 24-70 L. The problem is that I really can't see that great in the viewfinder,

and the AF is always a little off (focusing on the nose for example). Frequently, I am hand-holding the camera (active

subject, i.e. my 15MO daughter).

I am certain it is not the equipment... : )

Which focus mode are you using? I am currently using evaluative. Not spot. Would it help if I changed it?

I personaly mostly shoot Manual....and my kids 7/9 are quite lively... so i get the shoots that are focused on hair or nose, but i also get the ones with eyes.... the benefit of digital, you print only the best, and you see what comes out right then.... if every shot I took would be perfect.... I still put alot of thought when I take a picture but I have much more to choose from since i shoot digital, and I can delete ones I dont need

Manual focus is the easiest way to go. And if the head is turned to one side or other, tradition is to focus on the eye nearest to the camera. If you want to use autofocus, you easiest approach to set the camera to use only the center AF spot. Put that spot on the near eye, press shutter halfway to lock focus, recompose while holding it down, then shoot. But you have to repeat this for each frame, so manual is definitely better. If you're lucky one of the other AF spots might line up with the eye and you could save the recomposing, but that's a matter of luck and shouldn't dictate your composition. Bottom line is manual is easiest. BTW, evaluative is not an AF mode. That's an autoexposure mode. I assume you mean an AF mode where all the focus spots are active.

You could look in to a new focus screen for your XTI (or do the base Canon models not have replacable focus screens? I can't keep up with this stuff). I use manual focus, though of course I use a 30 year old manual film camera. Taking pictures of my quite active 7 month old son takes a lot of work since he doesn't want to sit still for very long. With any kind of close up unless I or my wife can catch his attention he is usually trying to roll or crawl off to play with something he sees. Also since I don't use flash much I am generally shooting around f/1.4-f/2.8 with my 50mm lens and around f/1.8-f/2.8 with my 28mm lens if I am doing a close up, also with slow shutter speeds. I get a fair number of misses because he moves at the last second and either blurs the picture or its now focuses on the back of his head or his nose.

If your are handheld you can step in close to the subject place the focus point on the eye,(I can't speak for your camera), but with most you can hold the shutter part way down, step back, reposition the subject in the frame and shoot. If you are shooting babies you need a fast shutter speed and lots of light. Spot is a type of metering. If you think 15 months is active, just wait till she can run.

I know what you mean with the Xti screen, I find it difficult to use compaired to my old film camera screens. if you are constantly having problems with your subject being slightly out of focus consider placing your camera in Appature priority mode and upping it to about 5.6. This will give a much larger depth of field so when your camera focuses on the nose the rest of the face should stay in focus. Idealy, start playing with manual focus before getting complacent. And if all else fails I agree with Rob ^^ up there, center focus & re-compose your shot or at least use the focus point selector on your camera.

• 2 weeks later...

When dealing with a shallow DOF, recomposing is tricky. As you move your camera to recompose, you do not necessarily have the same distance to the object you initially focused on. Aside from any back and forth motion you may induce, there is a tilt difference at the shutter plane, as well as simple geometry (the hypotenuse of a right triangle is longer than the leg). An inch difference can make your shot out of focus.

If your camera has changeable focus points, select one that is closest to your composition so you do not have to move much to activate the shutter. Of course, a higher f/stop will give you more DOF.