What is your average processing time/estimate for wedding clients?

samantha_tavarez

I'm sure this has been asked several times before, but I am new to posting here. I'm just curious what other

photographers out there are giving clients in terms of turn-around time estimates for processing photos?

Of course I know this is highly dependent upon several factors, including the number of hours of coverage, number

of images shot, how many other clients are booked in the same month, etc. But just in terms of getting their

images color corrected, processed and posted into an online client gallery, for example?

I tend to wonder where I am in the range of things. Thanks everybody! :)

The last one I shot, I did about 750 exposures, delivered 200, and got the pix on-line within a week. This was what I did- there was no specific promise.

This is for basic color correction by the numbers with the color correction tool.

You can speed up color correction by loading all of the similar pictures into Photoshop and using an action to do the same color correction on all of them.

A few years ago I shot another wedding as 2nd shooter and months later heard from the mother of the bride that they had not seen any pix from the main guy. Not good.

Exactly. I've also come across clients of other photographers that waited longer than 9 months just to get

proofs. Of course, in my book, that's just super extensive!

Generally speaking, I tell my clients that processing takes anywhere between 2-4 weeks, possibly less or just

slightly more. It's all dependent on the month, number of clients booked/scheduled to be processed around the

same time,

as well as the number of hours of coverage for their event (which, in turn, effects the number of exposures and

final/delivered images.)

I do have some batch processing for basic color correction, and even some helpful tools/processes I use for more

extensive retouching. I was just curious what other photographers offer in terms of turn-around time (assuming

they do all of their own processing, as I do now.) In the not-so-distant future, I'd love to be able to do all

the favorite shots myself, and maybe outsource more of the basic color correction work to a part-time assistant

or company.

Between myself and my second shooter, we take about 1200 photos at a wedding. I usually have an online preview of 20-30 of my favorites by the end of the next day. I try to have all the rest on my website within three weeks. I generally show 500-700 photos per wedding. I use Lightroom for most of my post-processing but I also send files out to an editor, depends on the package and how busy/backed up I am.

I think the faster you can get them up the better. If you think about it, everyone with their digital cameras will have them up on Facebook/MySpace/Snapfish the next day. I put signs with business cards at the reception that advertise where the pictures can be viewed. Generate buzz, get them to my site before they forget, and give them enough to get them to want to come back and see the rest.

Sam

My contract states 3 weeks. So far, other than 2 weddings, I have been less than 1.5 weeks out to the clients. But lately work has been keeping me pretty backed up. I almost wished I did this full time not because it would be great to do photography full time (it would, of course), but mostly because I could justify having a business with employees including an editor...ugh. tired.

We guarantee that the finished photographs will be available for preview online no more than 8 weeks after the wedding

date. When we're not as busy, we often edit a wedding in about 2 weeks. When we're slammed, it takes closer to 6

weeks. When my husband had unexpected surgery, I was REALLY grateful for the time-padding! :)

It doesn't really matter how long it takes you as long as your contract clearly defines the maximum amount of time your

clients can expect to wait.

One of my colleagues shoots several hundred weddings a year in a resort town, and has a 9-month timeline written into

her contract. Because they know up front how long they may have to wait, she never has any complaints.

You should always give yourself PLENTY of room when estimating delivery time. Chances are, you WILL be busier next

year than you are right now; you WILL encounter a personal emergency that prevents you from working at some point;

you WILL encounter a technical problem that will require some behind-the-scenes troubleshooting before you can deliver

your images. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. :)

I tell people 4 to 6 weeks, but also say that I often get it done sooner, depending on my schedule. I thank them for their patience. I use outside editors, and oversee/final tweak each shot after they're done. If I kept people waiting longer than 2 months, I couldn't sleep at night, I'd be afraid I'd wake up with an angry mob outside my home with torches!

If people start getting antsy, I offer to burn them a disc of them in their current state, but have never had to do that, they just say they'll be patient and wait. I inform the client that I want each image to reflect my best work, and that the process takes time.

What drives me crazy are dust specs. I carefully clean and view my camera sensors with a magnifying scope before each shoot, and invariably I wind up with visible dust specs in some sky scenes. Some environments are just dusty, and when you swap lenses in a rush or windy conditions, you're gonna get dust in there. It causes more post work to remove those, and adds to my post time.

I make every effort to nail exposure and lighting right at capture, to reduce my work later, and it really helps. Nothing's perfect, though.

Let me note that my 4-6 week timetable is based on the fact that I work a full-time day job and have 3 children who visit with me certain days of the month. If I were a full-time photographer, I'm sure my turnaround would be shorter. Hiring outside editors helps speed the process, though.

My contract specifies that the proof album will be delivered and the online gallery will be available within 6 weeks from the wedding date. Depending on my workload & lab turnaround, it can be as soon as 2-3 weeks. Clients really love it when you contact them to say that their photographs are ready before the 6 week mark! <p>I absolutely agree with Anne...give yourself some 'wiggle' room, just in case you need it.