Client making deductions from contract...HELP!

reneereynolds

I have to agree with Josh, as well. I wouldn't (personally) take the bride's approach of deducting the money first and asking

second, but she is, in essence, asking if she can deduct the money. I think a straight forward reminder that the bridal portrait

wasn't included in the original cost, with a little sympathy as to her fitting issues, is in order.

I agree that your original response has a lecturing tone - if I received a similar message from someone I was doing business with, I

would be insulted. How about dropping the parts about "the basis of a business relationship" and "isn't an acceptable means of dealing

with the issue." To be frank, you sound like a scolding teacher, parent or boss, not a businessperson! It is in your best interest to

definitely not send that email as-is.

Soooo, I would cut to the chase while showing understanding but still keeping a business-like tone. I mean, she did write to ask you

what to do and IF she could pay the lesser amount, so it's not like she was just trying to slip it past you. Like you, I also offer

complimentary sessions with some packages, and while they are clearly described as "complimentary" in all of my marketing materials,

if my clients are unable to use the time prior to the wedding I will often offer to let them use the time on the wedding day or at some time

after the wedding. Personally, due to the "misunderstanding," I would let any late fees slide for at least one week from the date of my

response, and I would clearly state that in my response. I would simply email first, and then call and THEN send a certified letter within

a couple of days if I did not receive a response.

So, this would be my response:

"Hi Client!

I received your payment in the amount of $xxx,xxx,xxx.xx today - thank you! Your receipt is attached.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with scheduling your dress alterations. We can still get your photos ready in time for your wedding

day if you are able to schedule your session within the next (insert whatever time frame that works for you). If you are unable to

schedule your session within the next (whatever amount of days), you can use the alloted session time as an addition to your wedding

day coverage, or you could even schedule a day-after portrait session or a portrait session sometime down the road. However, since the

session was a complimentary service, you were not charged for the session, and therefore, no refund or payment reduction can be

given. Your remaining balance of $500 is due today, August 28th, but due to the confusion surrounding the scheduling of your session,

I'll be happy to toss out any late fees for a week, through the end of the day next Thursday, in order to give you time to take care of the

payment. If you have any questions, feel free to call me at your convenience.

Thanks again,

- Jake"

I would never ever address something so important in an email. I would strongly suggest you and the bride get together.

In fact when a bride emails me I call and I've never once emailed a bride for any reason. I feel emails are a wrong way to run serious business. As harsh as this sounds the benefit is a closeness you obtain with the couple by calling.

Has my business suffered from never answering emails? Maybe, but our studios still blasts out an average of 80 to 100 weddings a year, not to mention corporate work, event gigs, and whatever else we do.

I like Jake's letter too - it is friendly but clear and firm. Clearly the majority on this thread think that short and sweet

is the way to go, and I'd certainly agree with that.

I do think I would like to make a point about when to reward a client though. There have been some comments on

this thread such as:

"She didn't necessarily deduct money from the bill, while she did send in less than what was owed, she sent it

before she got an answer to her question."

"I would suggest that half of the normal fee would be acceptable as a gesture of my goodwill in the circumstances."

"I agree that your original response has a lecturing tone - if I received a similar message from someone I was doing

business with, I would be insulted."

It is wise IMO to encourage only good clients for the good of your business long term. I have found that difficult

clients and those that refuse to pay take up far too much of my time, which really should be spent putting more into

the work of those clients who pay on time and are a pleasure to do business with - there are only so many hours in

the day, and clearly good clients are worth more to your business in the long term. There is a big difference between

a client who has a genuine query or issue (which of course should be responded to with every measure of good

customer service), and a client who automatically deducts money from the bill, pays late, argues over previously

agreed terms, or makes fluffy reasons as to why they have not paid.

If a client gets a short answer from me and an insistence to pay, it is inevitably because they themselves have done

the wrong thing in the first place - you reap what you sow. In this case, the client should have made the query first,

and then on receiving the answer, paid the full amount - not automatically deduct leaving the balance unpaid by the

due date. By reducing the bill further for no good reason as was one suggestion, in the long term we all do ourselves

no favours - it only encourages chancey behaviour and an expectation that if a client does the wrong thing and

makes things difficult that they will get a reward. If the client were to be insulted by any of the answers given through

this thread, then her feelings of being insulted were only prompted by insulting a paid professional first. Clients who

don't pay phototographers also hold back from paying other vendors too.

Business is a two-way street - and whilst as professionals we should provide the highest standards of services and

products, there is a responsibility of a client to acknowledge that they must do the right thing in return - pay

on time and in full. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Bob, I agree a phone call is in order here but I would follow it up with an email to confirm the conversation just for the sake of a paper trail. Always good to have written correspondence in case you need to prove your agreements later.