Assuming you're looking for a program to drive your scanner: try Vuescan. The download (with watermarked output) is free to try. I would suggest the Pro version is the sensible one to purchase: lifetime upgrades (vs one year, and this is a program that's *constantly* evolving/upgrading) and all components like raw file, icc profiles, etc are unlocked.

Also, don't give up on your Epson supplied software without at least giving it a try.

And, look up the Photo-i review of this scanner, it goes in to depth on set-up, testing, using results, etc. Here's the link:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V700/page_1.htm

Hello, Minh, welcome to the wild world of scanning!

I've used several different scanners over the years, and I still can't really figure out Silverfast sufficiently that I'm comfortable with it. I suppose if I scanned stuff every day, it would be different, but the interface just isn't very "friendly".

I have an earlier Epson scanner and the software is very good, especially when you're starting out.

Other than that, I agree, get Vuescan Pro! I think it's the best, and it's interface is much easier, very nicely laid-out.

Also I agree with the above, to go to photo-i.co.uk; the reviews are really good and there's a lot of good info there.

Other than that, I think that if you google "scanning basics" or "photo scanning" or something like that, you'll find some good info about "what it's all about".

By the way, congratulations on your new scanner! Everything I've heard says that the V700 is really excellent! Good luck and have fun with it.

Minh

Use the Epson Scanner software to get started. I find the Silverfast interface to be annoying.

I've got little PDF with a simple step by step guide that I did for the Epson 3170 (same software) that you may find useful.